Pediatric Cardiology Community
Mid Muscular VSD of 0.6mm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Mid Muscular VSD of 0.6mm

One of my twin daughter is recently diagnosed with the tiny mid muscular VSD of size 0.6mm. The Pediatric cardiologist has mentioned that there is nothing to worry and the hole may fill spontaneously, however I am very concerned and wanted to check what are the closure rates for such defect. She is also diagnosed with PFO ( patent foreman ovale). She is 4 months old. Please let me know if I should be concerned and take any special precautions for her well being.
A muscular VSD of only 0.6mm, is absolutely nothing to worry about. It will not cause  heart failure, it will not need surgery, and likely will close on it's own by the time she is 1. A PFO is very common, all babies are born with one, however typically they close after birth. Without knowing the size of the PFO it's hard to say if it will be an issue, but generally unless they're moderate to large, it will not cause any problems, and again, will likely close on it's own.