Pediatric Cardiology Community
Mitral valve reguritation: what are the chances for reoperation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Hello, my son at 6 months had severe mitral valve regurgitation due to endocariditis. However my doctor thinks it may have been caused by some kind of virus and not bacterial infection. He was born very strong and healthy and he had no health problems. At 6 months he caught his first cold and after he recovered within a few days, he started getting fevers which would rise and fall for a week and his eyes started getting blood shot red. The pediatritian could not give us a diagnosis and gave us a wait and see approach. Until one evening, he was very pale and breathing rapidly and so we called an ambulance. He had two open heart surgeries first was mitral valve repair and for the second operation, he had mitral valve annuloplasty ring inserted (C shaped ring). Now he is doing great. We are going for monthly check ups. He is on Warfarin, Imidapril and Aldactone. If anyone could help me, I would  greatly appreciate any thing I should know regarding mitral valve annuloplasty ring and mitral valve reguritation. My biggest concern is the possibility for his mitral valve regurgitaion to increase (it is at minimum level at the moment) and I am very scared about his chances for reoperation. Since he is only 10 months now, what are the chances for reoperation after an half ring annuloplasry has been inserted? I am doing some reasearch but I would be very happy to hear some advice or stories you have experienced or heard about. I am very worriewd about his future, I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you!
Hello and welcome to this site. Your question is a technical one so you may want to address it with the Pediatric Cardiology EXPERT Forum; there a doctor will answer your question. We are a family support group on this site. The regurg you are speaking about has four grades: Trivial, Mild, Moderate and Severe. To have a minimum grade is not really that bad; severe would be a different story. There are many people walking around with some level of regurg and doing well and
they don't even know it; most are living perfectly normal lives. My own daughter had regurg with all of her valves ( having said that, she also had severe forms of heart disease, we never concerned ourselves with the valve issues). There isn't a parent who is not worried to death about the health of their child when any kind of heart issue is mentioned and your pediatric cardiologist is well aware of how you feel as far as your fears go. It doesn't hurt to tell him about how afraid you are for your son's future; believe me, he has heard the same fears before....many times over. I can understand how worried you may be, consider calling your son's doctor and making an appointment where you go and see him without your son; children can be a distraction and that can result in you not hearing something the doctor tries to help you to understand. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have; take a tape recorder and record the talk so that you can listen to it later. If all else fails you, consider writing the doctor a letter; you'd be surprised what that will do and make a copy of the letter before you send it off so that you can read it later if you have to. Just writing thast letter may help with the way you feel. Take care  
Thankyou for your reply. Your advice has been helpful and encouraging. I sincerly hope that your daughter is doing well. I am very happy to connect with other parents who understands.
You are more than welcome. This site is for families like yours who need an ear to share their fears with; come back as often as you like! :)