Pediatric Cardiology Community
My 10 year old son has and enlarged left ventricle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

My 10 year old son very skinny yet healthy has had 2 ECG in the last 5 months that both said he has an enlarged left ventricle. The ECG were done because we were starting him on ADHD medications and wanted to make sure everything was ok. The last month he has been having severe heart palpitations and in the doctors office today his heart rate went up to 150 bpm in less then a minute of doing jumping jacks. We went for a chest x-ray after the doctor visit. Now were waiting. Can you give me any peace of mind?
The first thing I would tell you is that an EKG is not alway reliable in diagnosing an enlargement in the heart. You do not say if the walls of the LV are thick or thin which is very important to know here. was it a pediatric cardiologist who reviewed the 2 EKGs or was it a pediatrician, also something important to know. By what you have written (correct me if I'm wrong) it appears that your son had 2 EKGs first in the course of 5 months and nothing else was done. Then after that 5 months, a chest x-ray was done. Usually the way it works is the doctor orders an EKG (for some reason) then if there's a problem there, he orders a chest x-ray and an Echo which is used to evaluate the actual structure of the heart walls, thicknesses, valves, blood flow and how well the heart actually pumps and works. Has your son had an Echo done? A heart rate of 150 after doing jumping jacks, to me, isn't that bad. There can be a lot of normal reasons for that to happen. Your son is 10 years old and there's talk about him having something wrong with his heart. That right there is going to be scary for him and the added stress of that will surely cause him to have palpitations. As hard as it may seem, try not to add to his concerns by discussing this in front of him, it will only make matters much worse. If he has ADHD, he's already in stress mode. The most important thig is to have him evaluated by a good pediatric cardiologist. Keep us posted.