Pediatric Cardiology Community
My 8yr old has rapid heart rate and feels like her chest hurts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Hi, I am in desperate need of answers. My daughter has been complaining of rapid heart beat and chest pain associated with it. She also complains of stomach pain and burning but appears around the same time frame of her heart pounding against her chest. Its scary for her as well as myself! My nephew who is in high school also was experiencing it but stated he felt chest pain associated with the heart beating fast and then would pass out, My other nephew who is in college stated that he gets the fast heart beat and pain. My daughter has had several monitors and they see all of the heart rate increase on all of them but they stated that they are not seeing WPW which I am assuming they are looking for as my father has that and for many years has had a pacemaker since he came back from vietnam. However that can take years before they can find it as its hard to catch even with the numerous heart increases she has everytime. I currently have her on a pulse ox on my own just to monitor it. She hasnt had an episode since March 2009 and has now started up as of this past Sunday Nov 1 2009. Regardless of what anyone says I cant seem to think that this is normal for any child? My child is crying in pain complaing of her heart and they say to have her relax...that is when it happens and even wakes her up out of her sleep. She can sleep and I go check her and it is pounding her chest!! Please help me and direct me. It kills me to have my child  ask Mommy what can we do to make this stop? Cant you make me feel better? It breaks my heart and it is probably scary as i have a special needs child.
Is this daughter your special needs child, is that how you feel, or is it that you have a second child who has special needs? Children and teens often times complain of chest pains which are mostly due to the pounding of the heart in their chest wall. The pain doesn't actually come from a structural problem with the heart itself (those types of chest pain are VERY rare in children and teens) The reason they are not seeing the W-P-W is because of the way the heart rate increases and also because the W-P-W has a specific type of complex which includes a Delta Wave which is what shows the 'jump' from the normal electrical tract to the extra electrical pathway that shouldn't be there. Arrhythmias start and stop on a dime; the heartbeat does not increase, or decrease, slowly. You are right that it can take a long time for any type of arrhythmia to show up on any kind of a monitor. You might ask your doctor for an Event Monitor where you can press the button yourself when you see a problem. Also, you mentioned that your daughter complains of the pain, but you give no other history of her symptoms and you also must look at her play activity at all times, whether in pain or not. I can tell you the chances of your daughter having a sudden death event from W-P-W is pretty remote at best as these arrhythmias are found in the upper chambers of the heart. Usually W-P-W is dangerous if there is a severe underlying structural problem with the heart such as having a cardiomyopathy (diseased heart muscle) The more scared you are, the more scared your daughter will be because she sees your fears. Acknowledge what is happening to her and explain to her what is going on and that many people have their hearts beating too fast at one time or another, but the doctor says there is nothing to worry about and she will be okay. Usually if there is a problem. a pediatric cardiologist will restrict the activities of the child, to the child's horror! You don't want that for your daughter, believe me. Take care!  
Hi needing some help. My 5year old daughter been unwell with different bugs/infections since christmas. During this time she has been complaining of a sore heart. When i put my hand on her chest i can feel it pounding. She decribes it as her heart is trying to get out her chest. I have now spoken/seen doctor twice about this and have been told shes fine however it is still happening. In afdition to this we were told by one doctor when she was a baby that she had a hole in her heart. This was because she frequently turned blue, however we were referred to hospital and although no tests were done we were told she was fine. Should i get this checked again by hospital?
Hello and welcome to our site.I apologize for not answering before now; we are breders and I have a litter to deal with at the moment and it's time consuming.

My first question would be: have you read my above post? It pretty much covers what you are asking. You have to understand that ALL babies are actually born with a "hole in the heart"....for the most part the holes close by the time the baby turns one year of age. When a baby has the hole, the doctor can hear what is called a "Functional" heart murmur; this is a normal sound. Until a baby's system straightens out, often times they will appear "blue" on their extremities or around the lips. When a doctor looks for an actual problem dealing with cyanosis, he actually looks at the INSIDE of the mouth; if the inside of the mouth is blue, there's a posible problem. If your child is still having a problem, you should get her rechecked by a pediatric cardiologist, not just taking her to the ER. They can put an Event Monitor on her and see what is going on. This monitor is worn for a month and you push a button when there is a problem. Take care