Pediatric Cardiology Community
My son has sinus arrhythmias 41 - 180 bpm with chest pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

I am so concerned, wondering if this is urgent or dangerous! My 17 year old son has been having frequent chest pain with palpitations & dizzyness, causing him to have to sit down if he is (standing or walking) until it goes away, he gets this even when sitting or resting, so activity alone doesn't trigger it. He also gets a headache and dizzyness when he stands up, especially when he gets up in mornings. The main thing I am worried about is that he has been diagnosed with SVT on an EKG, but then on his holter monitor (48 hour) we got the results and it says on there that during the episodes of CHEST PAIN & DIZZYNESS he had SINUS TACH at 140 BPM, and an hour before that episode his BPM was 180 - So that confirms his chest pain is due to the sinus tach. And it says on the Holter Report that he has NSR with a Marked Sinus Arrhythmia throughout the entire 48 hour study. Heartbeats ranging from 41 to 180. Longest R-R is 1.62 seconds. and SVE: 1 PAC. We are still waiting for insurance approval for him to see cardiologist, it is taking too long, I am so scared for him! PLEASE let me know if the constant Sinus arrhythmia with such a huge fluctuation in the BPM, Chest Pain & Dizzyness could indicate something urgent or serious. Also if anything else I noted here may be serious. Thank you for your help.
Hello and welcome to our site.  I am sure you are pretty upset and scared by all of this so I will do my best to help answer some of your questions. A Sinus Arrhythmia is actually normal. When a person breathes in the heart rate speeds up and when he breathes out, it slows down. The chest pain your son is feeling are actually the hard heartbeats, they are probably not 'true' chest pain such as a person has while having a heart attack. Chest pain is a result of the heart having a lack of blood flow which is generally caused by blocked arteries or a cardiomyopathy where the heart walls are too thick or too thin. Some rare forms of heart disease in children can cause true chest pain, but that is very rare. NRS stands for 'normal sinus rhythm' so his heart is beating the way it should. SVT is a faster rate of 160 bpm and up and this rate originates in the upper chambers of the heart known as the atrium. Sometimes there are accessory pathways which the normal heartbeats can travel down at a faster rate. Your son should see a cardiologist to be evaluated and even an EP Specialist whose specialty is the heart's electrical system.