Need sSome Advice
My son is 6yrs old and has tricuspid artresia and hypoplastic right heart syndrome he has had 3 open heart surgeries to date. I am 7mnths pregnant with twins and due to my sons heart conditions have had 2 fetal echocardiograms to date. They found a small hole in my sons heart in October they repeated it in November with no change that they could see. They said its up to me if i wanna have another but they said they wouldnt be able to really tell anything until after the babies are born and do a echocardiogram on my son then. I was jsut wondering if you thought i should go ahead and let them do another one or just wait until the twins are born

Thank You,

Tara Shaffer

Tara, All baqbies are actually born with a hole in their heart which usually closes by one year. Waht exactly is your question? To abort a baby or to have another echo done before birth? ;
I am not a doctor.

I have done fetal echos for a hospital since 1999.  The information you gave is a little vague in where the hole is at and how big is it. Some holes are supposed to be there when they are 'cooking in the oven.'    Assuming it is a small hole like a VSD then I would just wait until the kids are born.  My guess is that the pictures are too poor to further clarify the hole.  Fetal echo can show most of the big things that can affect the babies heart, but it is still imprecise, even in the hands of the best sonographers and doctors.  Sometimes twins, and even single babies can be very challenging to get all the pictures needed to make a diagnosis.  Sometimes they can curl up and show their back to you and the soundbeam can't get through the spine to where the heart is.  I am assuming since you've had two fetal echos that your plan is to have the babies at a bigger center that can handle your son with the hole in his heart.
    I don't see any further benefit in getting a third fetal echo. I am also not you, nor am I pregnant with twins.   The echos your twins will get when they are delivered will be able to clearly show what holes there are and any other abnormalities.

good luck.