Pediatric Cardiology Community
Other alternatives for Situation mediated Syncope

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

A few weeks ago my 5 year old daughter was diagoned with situation mediated syncopeFainting(looks more like a seizure). no medications have been prescribed. The heart specialist wantted to see the frequency of the episodes and he suggested the Pace maker option. I am personaly not for a Pace Maker. I need to know if there are any young children who go through this and what other options are out there? Can children over come this with age???

Hello and welcome to our site! You asked if chldren can outgrow this type of problem. It depends on the cause. Some children and teens faint and a reason is never discovered; many, actually most, do outgrown this problem. The fact that your specialist (I'm taking that to mean: a pediatric cardiologist) is even mentioning a pacemaker to you tends to make me think your daughter has a slow heart rate, something called Bradycardia. I pacemaker really isn't too big a deal, it is usually placed in the cath lab and some patients go home the same day or the next. Pacemakers last for years before the batteries need to be changed and really have little affect on a child's life other than they cannot play contact sports because the 'leads' can be broken. My own daughter had a pacemaker placed when she was about 7-8 years old. You always want to make sure your daughter is well hydrated and that along with drinking she should eat something high in protein as well as it is the protein that helps to keep a person from becoming dehydrated in the first place. Has the cardiologist ordered a Holter or Event Monitor to be done on your daughter? Either of those tests would help to determine if there is an electrical problem going on with your daughter's heart. The Event Monitor is sometimes referred to as The King Of Heart's Monitor, depending on where the testing is done. Take care
Thank you for the feedback.i am glad to hear that it is not much of a deal about the pacemaker  and atleast some kids do outgrow them, so there is hope. The pediatric cariologist did talk about a monitor before the pacemaker needs to be put inplace. Thanks again