Pediatric Cardiology Community
Peripheral pulmonary stenosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Peripheral pulmonary stenosis

My 4 month old went for her regular well baby check up last week and the dr heard a new murmur that he had not heard in her before. We went for an echocardiogram which showed a patent foramen ovale and peripheral pulmonary stenosis. Can this cause my baby to be fussy (she has been a very fussy baby since birth, and is on prevacid for reflux). This is all new to me and really just don't know what to expect. We haven't heard the "official" results from the dr yet, this was just what the tech showed us during the test.
Hello, I would not be too concerned about all of this until you have seen a specialist; techs often times are incorrect in what they see on an x-ray, EKG and even on the echoes. The PFO is a normal finding in all young babies; it is a left over opening in the heart that allowed the blood to flow between mother and baby before the baby was born. The murmur heard from this is called a Functional Heart Murmur. The main reason your baby is fussy could be due to the acid reflux or it could be that you just have a fussy baby and nothing is wrong at all. A fussy baby isn't a common symptom for babies with heart disease; usually babies with heart problems have a tendancy to have failure to thrive, sweat profusely and tire easily when they nurse, things like that. The inside of the mouth may be blueish in color, on the outside of the mouth isn't generally of any concern. Wait until you see a specialist to determine if there is truely a problem with your baby. Hopefully, that won't be the case, if it is, they will tell you what you need to do for your baby to help her to have a good life.