Prognosis question fetal Ebstein's, TGA and other concnerns
Hello, I am pregnant and at week 14.5. At week 12 I went in for NT scan and they discovered severe Tricuspid Regurgitation. I went back in the following week and it was confirmed along with some enlargement of the Right Atrium. At week 14 we looked again and it also appears that there is Transposition of the Great Arteries. In addition to that it also appears that the Ductus Arteriosus is either incredibly small or non-existent. The blood seems to have found another route in.
If my baby truly does have Ebstein's, TGA and this Ductus Arteriosus issue what kind of prognosis can we expect? I know we are waiting to see how things develop and also waiting to get in with a cardiologist but that won't be for a number of weeks yet. From what I have read online with the Ebstein's by itself, discovered so early and being so severe the chance of fetal demise is close to 80%? If the baby does make it to delivery what kinds of surgery could be expected with all of these conditions? And then what kind of prognosis? Does it truly appear that this baby won't make it? Thank you so much for any information!
Your question isn't an easy one to answer as your babies heart condition is a complicated one. Surgeries can help many children with CHD including TGA. I would not focus on the prognosis of your baby and I certainly wouldn't go by what you read on the internet. The reality is that most pediatric cardiologists can help about 95% of all babies (and children) with heart disease to live a good life. The remaining 5% cannot be helped except by transplantation, so the odds are in your favor. Having raised a daughter to adulthood with severe enough heart disease that we were told she would never survive her childhood speaks volumes about poor and grave prognosis! Deal with the day to day issues and don't focus on the unknown.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.