Pediatric Cardiology Community
Prolonged QT interval

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Prolonged QT interval

My 5 yr old daughter fainted 2ce on Sunday, turned very pale, and was extremely low in energy. As a first year nursing student, I took out my stethoscope and as I was attempting to take an Apical pulse (noticing an irregular rhythm) her heart rate decellerated noticably, and simultaneously, she was nauseated and ran to the bathroom. I took her to the ED and on the EKG was that there was a prolonged QT interval, he told me all she had was sinus arrhythmia, and there was no reason to worry, to follow up with her doc on Monday. I did, she is referring me to a pediatric cardiologist after having to preform another EKG tomarrow. Now, I may have the "med-student syndrome" by being trained to see the worst, but even when I did an internet search, I'm not seeing any indications that this could or should be taken lightly. I should mention that I have heard an irregular rhythm prior, she had an EKG done then, and he said it looked as though she had LVH, he sent her for an ECHO, which thankfully came back normal. This was last year, same time. I am sick with worry for my little girl...does anyone have any light to shed for me?