Pediatric Cardiology Community
SVT medication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

SVT medication

My son is four years old. He got his first SVT attack when he was 10 months old. Since then he was on and off several types of medications like propranolol and propafenone and others that I don't remember their names. Every time he gets an SVT attack (which was all the time) we had to take him to the ER for him to get the adenosine. He ends up staying at the hospital for observation. After many trials they finally figured out which medication worked best and how much of it. So he then for quite a while was only on propranolol, which they already got to the highest dosage. Since August this year he has been getting the SVT attacks way to often and since they can no longer raise the propranolol dosage they start giving him propafenone. They told us that they thought it would be good for him to get an EP done and perhaps the catheter ablation. But now they have decided not to do that, because they think he is not ready. So they raised the propafenone dosage. They told us that they still have room to raise the dosage should he get SVT attacks again and after that they will see what to do next. Perhaps add another medication or eliminate the two and have a different medication. My worry is that since he has been taking the propafenone he has a lack of appetite. He has always been a very picky eater, but now it has gotten worse. My question is it safe to give a small child all these types of medications? Isn't there an alternative for this? I am not happy that despite him taking these medications he is still having the SVT attack. I do not know what to do. Would it be best to actually do the EP or not? Thanks so much, Adelaida
Hi Adelaida
I sent you a message
good luck Michelle