Pediatric Cardiology Community
SVT's ???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

SVT's ???

I have a 14 year old daughter who at age 10 had SVT's & a cardiac ablation, which was successful. Her grandmother on her dad's side also has SVT's.

Now my 9 year old has odd symptoms. Her first symptoms started when she got strep throat. Her heart will be POUNDING, totally visible on the outside of her shirt. She doesn't feel sick like my other daughter did. No dizziness, her color stays good. Her heart rate goes up to maybe 120 tops, her throat does feel sore.Sometimes it lasts a few minutes, it has lasted up to 3 hours.

She has had one "normal" EKG and one that said "right ventricular hypertrophy" Our local hospital is fairly small so they are sending the EKG's to a pediatric hospital for further evalutaion. The pediatric hospital is also sending up an event monitor, to hopefully figure it out.

So, first of all, what is right venticular hypertrophy? Second, could this all be caused by strep? (My 14 year old had chronic strep until her tonsils were removed) Third, should I be doing something else?

Thanks in advance,
~Mary
Tags: svt, Heart
Hello Mary, welcome to our site. This site is for supporting you and other families when their concerns, I hope we can do that for you. You asked what right ventricular hypertrophy is. I'm sure you know that the heart is made up of four chambers: right and left atrium and the right and left ventricle. The right ventricle is the least important of the two ventricles, it is responsible for taking in the blood that is returning to the heart; the left ventricle is responsible for pumping the blood out to the brain and the rest of the body. Hypertrophy stands for a thickening or an enlargement. Because it can be either one, it could mean that a section or all of the right ventricular wall is too thick OR it could mean that the size of the entire ventricle bigger than it should be. In the former, the chamber size is decreased and in the latter, the chamber size is increased in demension. I do not know which it would be in your daughter's case. EKGs are not always accurate especially if the machine is not programed for infants and children. EKGs can also give a lot of false positives, so try not to give them too much weight. She needs to be seen by a pediatric cardiologist and to have an Echo done which will look at the wall thickness as well as the pumping action of the heart. That test takes about an hour to do and should be done by someone familiar with pediatric patients. Could strep cause this to have happened? I'm not sure about this although some viruses can certainly attack the heart muscle and electrical systems of the heart. Coxsackie virus is one that will do that; it can affect the electrical sysytems of the heart. Most viruses that attack the heart generally affect the left ventricle, not the right, so it is anyone's guess (at least on this forum) as to whether or not this is what has happened. At the moment you are at the starting point (which I hope will amount to nothing for your family). Your papers have been sent off to hopefully a good children's hospital, hopefully it is going to a University Children's Hospital as they tend to see more patients with these types of problems. They will do an echo on your daughter and possibly a catherization (this is not an ablation) to take a better look at her walls, their motion and thicknesses among other things. I hope this information helps you and I hope you will come back for support and to let us know how things are going. Take care