Pediatric Cardiology Community
Scared and need some advice..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Scared and need some advice..

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking this..but I just need some advice. I lost my 2month old daughter last year to interrupted aortic arch..it is still very difficult to deal with.Recently I found out that I am pregnant again and I am absolutely terrified. I , myself have been having some problems lately ever since I found out I was pregnant. I have been getting skipped beats like crazy(PVC's) and am now seeing a cardiologist. He has left a message that I have some "mild leaky valves". I have been trying to get ahold of him but he is constantly in with patients and is unable to discuss it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with pregnancy and PVC's and heart problems..I know this is alot of strain on my heart and am wondering if my heart can handle it right now..I am also concerned about the baby and if he/she will have a congenital heart defect. I know that I won't be able to deal with it again if I lose another baby. I have a healthy 5 year old as well...any answers will be greatly appreciated.
I am so sorry for your loss! It is never easy to lose a baby! Congenial heart disease affects 1 in every 100 births in this country. If your daughter had a genetic form of heart disease, you always face that risk. Your doctor would have told you if it were a genetic problem so that you and your family members would be checked out for this form of heart disease; if they did not discuss that with you, chances are this new nbaby will be fine. They can also due an ultrasound of the baby's heart to see if there is any issues you need to worry about. I had SVT when I was pregnant and ended up on complete bed rest (that was HORRIBLE!, I'm not one for watching soap operas). I got through it but nearly died from hemorraging after my daughter was born. My second pregnancy was worse, I developed a gallop heart murmur and was again put on rest and told to never have children again. I took the risk to have my two daughters and would have loved to have had more children, but it wasn't to be. Premature beats aren't going to kill you, they really are not a major problem unless you have a SERIOUS underlying form of heart disease such as a cardiomyopathy where the walls of the heart are diseased. Hard as it is, try and relax, PVCs/PACs always get worse when you start worrying about them. If you can't get your doctor to return a phone call, make an appointment and go sit down and talk to him. You do whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable.
Hey Jackie I too have lost a baby to a heart defect only last August and am pregnant again. I do have problems with my heart while pregnant and with my last pregnancy had to see a cardiologist. I was told my problem was palpatations. I don't understand what they are but apparently they're not a big concern. I do know a girl who had I think it was a leaky valve and she has had three healthy children. He doctor told her it was dangerous to carry a child with such a problem and the fact that she has high blood pressure but she has made it through three pregnancies. I do know that some, not all, heart defects are hereditary but I and my husbands grandmother have had a child who died of a heart defect and my husband's grandma still had many other healthy children, too many to count, and I, although scarred to death, really believe that this child I'm carrying will be healthy. I think you should have faith. I tell myself, "how would God ever let something so horrible happen to me twice?" Maybe nothing could have been done with the first but I have faith that God has blessed me and won't let it happen again and you should too. Talk to your doctor about having special testing done. I have to see a specialist with this pregnancy because of wha happened to my son, it was genetic and they want to be sure this one is healthy and even if you were told what your daughter died from isn't you should still request testing if you're concerned about it. Good luck to you.
Thanks for the responses..I am trying to work through this still and am still extremely anxious about what is going to happen. (Still trying to get ahold of the cardiologist too..we are playing phone tag). I guess that I just need to stay positive and pray. I go to see the dr. in 4 weeks so I will let you guys know how that goes. I forgot to mention that I also have high blood pressure but am on a medication for it and that is controlling it pretty well..megmil- you are right I need to trust that God will make things ok in the end.I know you are going through something very similiar right now.Let me know how it turns out with the testing and everything.They are going to do an echocardiogram on the baby @ about 5 months for me as well..(BTW- I hate to be depressing but I have had it happen twice now..I lost a baby back in 2002 who lived for 2 hours as well..So I know anything can happen..) But you are right- we need to stay hopeful..things will be ok.. they have to ,right?
Good luck to you as well.. I will pray,
Jackie :)