Should I really Be Tested To?
My son who is 15 was just diganosed with mild aortic diffencey (today Novemebr 11th), he does have a thickned left ventricle and complanies about pain, palpatations, dizziness, and feeling like "someones sitting on his chest". He received his halter monitor today and his stress test is next week. Obviously, my heart is breaking becaasue I feel so helpless...his peadtric cardiologist mentioned I should also see a cardiologist becasue it is hereditary, what do you think?
hi, i think first of all do you or have you ever had your sons symptoms,and also whether any other member in your family has ever had this or the symtoms also. it would obviously do no harm to get checked out and any other members of the family,siblings etc if any as he is so young and its quite uncommon it very well could be hereditory.
but also sometimes these things can happen and i know from experience as my daughter had complications of her heart and neither me or her dad or our families didnt have and had never even heard of them. thats when we learnt about genetics.
i think finding out if there is a link in the family is the first step to finding out more of what your dealing with for your son,its like process of illimination. if there is no link then you look towards the correct specialist being it cardio or genetic to help give your son the right tests and correct treatments. with best wishes
I will be writing to you later today. In the meantime try and find out from your doctor what type of enlargement is he talking about. Is it Dilated or Hypertrophic which is what my daughter had. Let me know.
If your son has a diagnosis of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy than his siblings and parents should all have Echocardiograms to rule out this disease which is more times than not, hereditary. Your son, if he hasn't already, should be pulled from any sports until he has been cleared of any type of arrhythmia problems. The symptoms he is having is related to his heart problems and there are medicines (Caclium Channel Blockers) which can help some. At the age of 15, your son is dealing with growth issues and the HCM (if that is his diagnosis) can get worse during times of growing. What testings has he had done? Has he had an EP Study done yet?