Pediatric Cardiology Community
Tachycardia? Or something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Tachycardia? Or something else?

I am 15 years old. I'm very involved with sports.(I play volleyball and basketball at the varsity level.) When I was 6 years old, I started having irregular chest pains. I was diagnosed with Tachycardia. As I grew up my cardiologist changed it to "excersise induced tachycardia". I had learned to live with it until about 2 years ago, when my "heart spells"(as I call them) became more powerful and more often. I returned to my cardiologist, where they told me I in fact never had tachycardia. Anxiety was causing my chest pains. CONFUSING! During these "spells" my heart beats very fast and very hard. It feels like my heart is going to explode out of my chest. I have shortness of breath, become very dizzy, and I have passed out 3 times.I feel completely terrible, sluggish, and as if I might pass out at any moment. Any ideas as to what is really going on with me?
Anxiety is what is probably going on. You are only 15 years old which basically means you do not have truely heart related chest pain. True chest pain is caused  by a lack of bloodflow to the heart muscle. There are really only two main ways that can happen: Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) which takes YEARS to develop, over 20, in fact and some forms of Cardiomyopathies where the heart muscle itself grows and outstrips the blood supply. Either one of these heart problems would certainly prevent you from playing ANY kind of sports. You simply would not be able to do this. Also, if you had any form of congenital heart disease which is serious enough to cause truely heart related chest pain, your parents would have discovered that long before now. What you are feeling is called a palpitation which is an increased awareness of the heart beating. All people the world over have premature beats in the heart, this is totally normal as it is a backup system for the normal SA and AV nodes in the heart. Some people are sensitive to these feelings which in turn makes the premature beats much more noticable to them. That awareness causes the person to become anxious that something is going to happen, which only makes this problem worse. Adrenaline floods the body and prepares it for the "fight or flight" which about to happen. When your heart beats too fast, there is an automatic lack of bloodflow out of the heart because there isn't enough time for the heart chambers to fill properly. Not enough blood get in and therefore not enough blood get out to the brain and as a result you get lightheaded and can pass out. (I am thinking you are describing this as being dizzy which is actually caused by something totally different; dizziness is not caused by heart problems, it is an inner ear or eye problem). Tachycardia is simply the heart beating normally except slightly faster than normal, that is really not much of a big deal as long as there is no heart disease involved with it. take care  
Yes, Lightheaded is a more appropriate word for what I feel during these spells. Thank you for your help.