Pediatric Cardiology Community
Tricuspid atresia and Truncus arteriosus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

7202949?1314902131
I have a 21 month old that was born with tricuspid atresia and truncus arteriosus, he had the bt shunt at 5 days old, and later at 4 months old had the bidirectional glenn, which then got an infection, but everything turned out great thanks to God and Dr. Spray and Dr. Fuller from CHOP.  My question is what are the statistics of a baby having these two very rare heart defects?
Hello and welcome to our site! I'm afraid I cannot answer your question; your PC should be able to answer that for you. What I can tell you is that Congenital Heart Disease is actually common; one baby in every 100 born has some form of heart issue that they have to deal with. The really sad fact is that more children die each year due to heart disease than children who die as a result of cancer COMBINED. The main proceedure I hear about is actually the Glenn Proceedure; there were actually a couple of those going on when my daughter had her transplant so I'm not sure the reason for that being done on your son is really all that rare; the combination of his problems, however, may be, I don't know. Take care