Pediatric Cardiology Community
Tricuspid valve regurgitation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Tricuspid valve regurgitation

Hi,  My daughter was diagnosed with tricuspid valve regurgitation at the age of about 18 months - it was picked up during a routine check-up when she had an ear infection.  A thorough Dr heard the anomaly in her heart beat and we were referred to the peadiatric cardiologist at Oxford (UK).

I have been told that her tricuspid valve is too long which means it takes longer to perform its action thereby causing the regurgitation.

We saw the cardiologist on an annual basis, this has now been changed to bi-annually.

I would like to "meet" anyone else who either has this or has a family member with this as I want to learn more about it.  

We do not know if the problem is congenital or whether it was caused by an infection -
None of my children are personally affected by this, but I would gladly do some research for you and see what I can find out. I have access to some great scholarly journals, including a few medical journal databases. Perhaps somewhere in there i could dig something up.

Is she having symptoms or is she still asymptomatic?
my 4 year old son has had a tricuspid valve regurg. for a couple of years now. accoding his his cardiologist many people have them and they are fine. most likely it will go away, depnedong on size. it did go away then came back and back and forth. I am personally not worried that with his.
Good luck
michelle
Hi thanks for your responses.  Yes she is asymptomatic and has no outward signs of there being any problems, thank goodness.  

The tricuspid valve is too long, so I cannot see that this was a result of any infection but rather something that she was born with.  The cardiologist said the main concern (although not something I should be worrying about) is the possibility of stenosis, although he did say this was highly unlikely.

I certainly wasn't aware that this could come and go - I find this a little confusing - probably because in my daughters case a lenghtened valve is not going to come and go.  There are obviously different causes of the tricuspid regurgitation.

At least, certainly in my daughters case, this is a minor heart defect that should not cause any problems.

Try few more echoes to comfirm it.

First of my echo stated:  Tricuspid valve inserts a little further from the base than usual but the valve is not definitely Ebstein's. (Never had any heart surgery)?

Second echo stated:  Tricuspid regurgitation - Moderate.

My cardio said that if they put in a new tricuspid valve, I still unable to tell the different."  Normally, they won't do anything even with severe tricuspid regurgitation.

I born with wpw.  I have my His bundle ablation.  Then a new accessory pathway born just overnight after the ablation.
My daughter has a bicuspid aortic valve, not quite the same thing, but similar problems.  She does have stenosis, but it is not at a dangerous level.  There is a really good chance that one day, it will be at a dangerous level and she will need surgery, so I dread that day like only a mother would understand.  So I feel your concern.  I hold my breath at every check up, but so far, they have all been good.  My daughter is now 5 and an extremely active, talkative, run around like crazy normal kid, and so far every check up is a thumbs up.
I'm not really understand about the valve.  When my brother 3 yrs old, was told a hole in his heart.  Specialist told to take a lot of Scott's Emulsion.  It helps to close the hole.  He was lucky.  The hole finally closed before his 5th birthday.  If too old, it can't do it then will need a surgery.