Pediatric Cardiology Community
VSD & Hole

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

VSD & Hole

7830223?1333514356
As per the X-Ray & 2 D Echo report she is suffering from COMPLEX HEART DISEASE WITH SEPTICEMIA (She has Big Hole in Heart) we have consulted to several cardiologist and as per the pediatric cardiac surgeon opinion she immediately need to be undergone the surgery i.e. Open Heart Surgery

My Qu. in this context is it possible without surery.?
Hello and welcome to our site. I'm sure you must be very worried about what is happening. You did not give the age of your daughter (?) and I am taking it that you are asking about a baby. You also do not give any description as to what the "complex" problem with the heart is. Usually this is used in referrence to structural problems with the heart like someone who has the great arteries reversed or someone who is missing one lower chamber in there heart; usually a hole in the heart isn't considered to be complex unless there is something else going on with the heart itself. Certainly having septicemia isn't good. That all aside, if a pediatric surgeon has consulted with your baby's pediatric cardiologist and they have decided that surgery is needed, understand they do not go into making that decision lightly, especially in a baby who is also sick on top of the heart issues. You need to listen to what they are advising you to do; it is in the best interest of the baby. The alternative is that you may be left with a baby who goes into chronic heart failure due to that hole in the heart. Understand that all babies are born with a hole in their heart; for most, that hole closes within the first year of life. Foer some surgery can wait to have surgery when they are 7-8 years old; for some, they can live a lifetime, with a hole never closing, and never have any problem with it. But for a doctor and surgeon who are telling you that your baby needs surgery, that means that the hole is probably too large and will not close on it's own and in turn may lead to a devastating event. Listen to your doctors.  
hi there, I have a very small hole in the upper part of my heart to this day (41 years old) we just found out my 10 year old son also has one and he is okay  however when my now 8 year old son was born he had a very large hole in the bottom part of his heart.. 10mm... they told us on day 3 of his life he needed to have open heart suregery around 1 years old.. well he got worse and by the time he was 3 months old he had his heart surgery and they repaired the larger hole in the bottom as well as a small hole on top and ligated the pda... doctors  don't like to do surgery especially on kids and I agree they don't take this type of thing lightly.. I feel if they ar reccommending surgery then your little one needs it and it won't close on its own and thngs could get worse due to the size of the hole.... do you know what frage they gave the murmur...good luck and I hope he gets over his illness, they won't operate usually until they are strong, my son just got over RSV and had to wait a month until he got stonger, or else it would take longer for him to recoup from the surgery