VSD size increases as he grows
when my baby was born he was diagnosed with CHD.he has 3.5mm perimembranousVSD, 3mmASD.he was asymptomatic except the murmur heard by stetoscope,he was given furosemide and lasix. he was apparently well until  he was 2months old had swelling -edema both feet and i observed that he was irritable and easily get tired, captopril was added for his medicine.is my child having complications?, how come he has this symptoms now ,is it possible that his VSD increased in size.thank you.
The symptoms you stated here are classical that surely indicate that your baby is really is going through a very bad time.Perimembranous VSDs may have a capability of enlarging in size as they are not well guarded by any kind of support that prevents from extension like in other VSDs which have a muscular layer.Swelling and edema are indications of complications as a result of CHD.Swelling and edema are most important features that indicate presence of congestive heart failure in baby with CHD.Furosemide and captopril doesnot help your baby as they cant cure the underlying condition of CHD.Babies with VSD larger than 1.5 mm are direct prompts for surgery very quickly before if may cause multi organ failure.I mean, VSD causes Congestive heart failure and CHF causes renal failure,pulmonary hypertension,Eisenmenger s(Right to left shunt) complex.- renal failure causes multi organ failure.Surgery is indicated and you must be fast.Percutaneous transcatheter closure by Amplatzer® occluder devices have been used with success for muscular VSD closure in small studies of congenital VSDs and anecdotally in postinfarct VSDs. Approach your Pediatrician and go through recommended procedures.Keep me updated.
how's your little one?  When my son was born he had a very large VSD 10mm perimebranous  they too had him on lasix and digoxin.. we were told he would require surgery between 6 months and 1 years. got really ill at 5 weeks with a cold and due to his failure to thrive, they put him on a high calorie diet. at 2 1/2 months old he had the "swelling" too it is called CHF.. they too put him on Captopril and put him on an ever higher calorie diet as he still wasn't gaining weight... i did notice however after the captopril was added he wan't nearly as tired when he feed, but still didn't thrive too well we had to wait another month before he could go in for surgery as he was too weak from being ill when he was 5 weeks old..
I am not sure if your doctor will recommend surgery i think they will have to look at another echo to see from the sounds of things your little one might have to have it good luck
Michelle