VSD with trivial AR
Dear Doctor,
My 7yr old son had a VSD & ASD bothy measuring 4mm, at birth. The ASD closed by itself within a month & the VSD now measures somthing less than thn 3mm with trivial aortic regurgitation. He weighs 25 kgs and is normal and quite active and healthy like other children, by God's grace.......pls tell me if his condition requires surgery or if the VSD will close by itself, if so, how much longer shud we give it???............

Repectful regards,
V.M.Joseph.
Hello and welcome to our site. This site is not the "Expert Pediatric Heart Forum" so I am not a doctor. You may want to go onto that forum if you want a physician to answer this question. Having said that, ASDs and VSDs can take a year or more to close, most close by the time the baby turns a year old; some never do and the decision to do surgery is based on the person and if that person is symptomatic. As your son's VSD is closing already, that may be a good sign that it will continue down that path. If there was a question of doing surgery his pediatric cardiologist would probably have already been discussing that option with you. Take care
Hello there, thank you very much, i feel a lot more hopeful now...actually, being new to this site, i really don't know how to go abt it....whts really worrying me is tht 2 yrs back, his cardiologist assured me tht the VSD is very insignificant and tht it will close by itself, as the musle tissues thicken, but now the same person tells me it is advisable to do surgery... i don't understand & thts why i  wanted a second opinion fm some expert...i guess i'll post my question on the  "Expert Pediatric Heart Forum" and wait... anyways thnx again...take care too :-)