What should I expect in the follow-up exam
I have a 6 year old that was diagnosed 5 months ago with r. ventricular prominence, unilateral pulmonary branch stenosis, and an atypical mitral valve. What exactly does this mean in the simplest form? And what should I expect at her 6 month follow-up? Is this going to mean surgery or medication or more follow-up appointments?
A right ventricular prominence more than likely means her right ventricle is enlarged in some way, unilateral means 'across the board', basically. The lungs are made up of 'branches' and stenosis means 'narrowing' so she has narrowing of those branches in the lungs. 'Atypical' is the word used when something is NOT typical. In your daughter's case there is something not typical about her mitral valve. Most follow-ups would include echoes done at least once a year, sonner in some cases. More follow-up appointments will probably be in her future due to the right venticle issues. I would certainly think she would also be followed by a pulmonologist as well for her lung issues. If there is surgery or medications in her future, there is no way of knowing that with the things you have written on here as we are not doctors. Her doctor would be the one to explain her treatment options with you. make an appointment and go back and see him and have him explain all of this to you in 'layman's terms'. take care