Pediatric Cardiology Community
Worth A Second Opinion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Worth A Second Opinion

My 8 year old daughter was referred to a cardiologist for a chronic cough.  The doctor did an EKG, listened to her heart and heard a murmur, this prompted him to do an ultra-sound right on the spot.  He found that my daughter has an Aortic Insufficiency. This was a big surprise to me since, she has always had excellent well-child check ups in the past, and I almost wonder how her pediatrician could have missed this.  The cardiologist told me that it was really nothing to be overly concerned about and said he would like to check it again in 2 years.  As a mother, I am EXTREMELY concerned when I hear that my childs main heart valve has a leak. I would like to get a second opinion, since my father and my husbands father both died of heart diseases.  Am I over-reacting or is a second opinion justified?
If it would make you feel better, by all means get a second opinion. The PC will probably come back and tell you the same thing. It is only natural for you to be extremely concerned for your daughter's well-being and generally for any parent who is told there is a problem with the heart; they're going to panic. The worst part is most parents are taken off guard to such a degree, they can't think about any questions to ask....until they have gone home. You may want to consider making another appointment with the first PC, without your daughter, and sit down and explain your fears to him; believe me, he will understand your fears. If he takes the time to draw a picture and explain exactly what is happening, it will help you to calm yourself down. If there were any life threatening issues for you to deal with, they would have told you that upfront and they would not have left anything to chance.  They would have restricted your daughter from the get-go. You do question about the pediatrician missing this problem. Let me tell you....it can be easy and the only reason I'm telling you this is because it also happened to us. My own daughter was at the pediatric clinic so often, the clerk there (as well as in the ER) knew my husband's social security number by heart. (We were in the AF). MY daughter was ALWAYS sick and at 3 developed Juvenile Rhuematoid Arthritis which was a whole slew of problems for her due to an inability to break down drugs properly. At six she was diagnosed with terminal heart disease. The first time they ever heard a murmur in her was when she was 6 years old even though she was at the pediatrician's office at least 2-3 times every month for most of her life. They can miss heart problems in children. Been there, done that. Take