Pediatric Cardiology Community
abnormal EKG

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

abnormal EKG

My 12 year old daughter has had chest pain for a week now that is not relieved with anti-inflammatories, heat, or antacids. The day I took her to the doctor the first time she had also gotten dizzy at school and has had additional episodes of dizziness in the past. We had a chest x-ray and ekg done yesterday and the results showed normal chest x-ray but the ekg showed possible right ventricular hypertrophy and borderline prolonged QT segment.  Pediatrician does not seen concerned but says that we need to see cardiology, they made appointment but it is not for a month.  How concerned should I be?  They said I do not need to restrict her activity, she plays volleyball and I am concerned about her.
"Borderline" is often simply the language of the computer reading an EKG, and can happen simply when the leads from the EKG machine are a little out of place.  If the cardiology department was concerned, you would have gotten a call immediately.  I'd let her play volleyball.  
I agree with Annie,  I do hope things go well for her.  but I am sure when her doctor called the pedi doctor and made a referral they told them the issue...
good luck
Michelle
Hello and welcome to our site. It is common for teens to have chest pain; in reality what teens describe as chest pain is actually palpitations or an awareness of the hearbeat. Having said that however, there are forms of heart disease in children and teens where the heart muscle is too thick where the blood supply to the muscle is outstripped. This is known as hypertrophy. There are a few good things: the fact the chest x-ray was normal and the "boardline" EKG is on your side. Also, IF there is a true diagnosis of RVH then that diagnosis should be made with an Echo and as the left ventricle is the main pumping chanmber of the heart, it is a much more serious form of hypertrophy to try and deal with. I would pull your daughter from any sports activity until she has had a full work-up by a pediatric cardiologist; he will be the one to determine if there is a problem with your daughter's heart. The reason I would pull your daughter is because thickened heart muscle walls can sometimes become irritable and a patient can develop arrhythmias as a result. Take care
This sounds similar to what I'm going through with my 13 yr old daughter..My daughters ekg showed...enlarged right ventricle and also enlarged left atrium. We have to wait until middle of February to see a pediatric cardiologyst. My daughter gets out of breath and dizzy with any activity. Our school nurse sent a memo to the gym teacher that said no activity until we get the clear from cardiologyst. I would not let her do vollyball, just incase. You wouldn't want her to pass out and hit her head or anything.
I hope everything turns out ok for her-