Pediatric Cardiology Community
bicuspid aortic valve with stenosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

bicuspid aortic valve with stenosis

My son was diagnosed with bicuspid aortic valve with stenosis and mitrovalve regurgitation by age 2 (He is now 10).  His doctor is limiting the sports he can play.  I have noticed over time that he tires easily and gets short of breath.  I am worried that his condition is worsening.  Does anyone have any insight to this?
Hi ccmom,
I am a mother of a 9 year old boy with bicupid aortic valve and regurgitation.......He is currently on modified restrictions......When did your son have an echo and assessment with his cardiologist? There is a place on this website were you can ask an expert any questions.  If you have any echo info they like that too.  As your child grows you will notice some of these changes.  Do you know what level his stenosis is at?  My son does go through phases of being tired and short of breath,but he hasn't had too many big changes in his echo results. There are lots of great parents on here who can talk with you too.
Shelly
His last echo was last year.  He will have another echo, EKG, and stress test this Thursday.  I'm trying really hard not to stress over the next visit but with the changes in him, it is really worring me.  The stenosis is moderate on the last evaluation but about 2/3 years ago it was mild.  He is on a low cholestrol and low sodium diet.  Is your sons regurgitation in his aortic valve or in the mitrovalve?
Hi ccmom,

So how did your appointment go?  I can totally understand about your stress and anxiety about the changes.  My sons  regurgitation is in his Aortic valve.  We are going to see our cardiologist in a few weeks and I am anxiously awaiting to go.  I am learning to relax a little bit since other parents have advised me that they will tell you when they aren't feeling good, and their behavior will slow down or change.  I find that my son self limits himself and has done so all his life when I really think about it.  My son is smaller than my other 2 boys and when he is tired he just goes and watched TV or goes and does something quiet by himself. He really hasn't slowed down too much.  Hang in there and I look forward to talking to you.  If you click on my name and go to my page there are 2 other parents on there with children with similiar problems and you can chat with them also.
Take cre and talk to you soon.
Shelly