Pediatric Cardiology Community
echo results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

echo results

my 12 year old son fainted while riding his bike on saturday.. he had an echo done and the findings are:
1.there appears to be a left ventricular hypertrophy.
2.there was a left atrial dilation
3.there is  a tendancy for prolapse of  the anterior medial mitral valve leaflet.
4. the patient could be showing a tendency towards a cardiomyopathy.
5. this is my interpretation of the images i was able to view the rest of them keep freezing while trying to view.
MEASUREMENTS IN CM

AO:2.6 -LA: 3.1- LA/AO :3.1RATIO -MV EPSS:0.7 -FS:40% - EF:71% - RVD:2.6 -IVSd:0.7 - LVIDd:4.0 - PWD:0.9 -LVIDs:2.4

My question is : my son has an appt in 5days from now with a ped cardio..should i wait that long??
and does this sound like a cardiomyopathy?

Thank you in advance..mel
Yes, it sounds like he has a LVH. All of the members of your family will need to have echos done to rule out this problem as it is, more times than not, genetic in nature. Your son will probably need to have a 24-48 or 72 hour Holter or a 30 day Event monitor put on to check for arrhythmia problems as well as a cath and an EP Study done to see how the electrical tracks in his heart are working; this may explain why he passed out. People with HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy which is sometimes referred to as a LVH or IHSS {Idiopathic Hypertrophic Subaortic Stenosis} often times have an arrhythmia problem. He should not do anything stenuous until he has seen the PC in 5 days. I wouldn't let him ride his bike and if he is in sports or in PE in school you should pull him from all of that until you know exactly what kind of problem he has. My daughter had this disease as well, if you need more info or support, just drop me a line. Let us know how the appointment goes.
thank you so much for commented..it really explained alot to me.i hate this waiting game, its gonna be a long weekend.im still confused about the measurements, i thought they were all within normal values..maybe because they were adult values..i will let you know how everything goes.. fingers crossed!!
how old is your daughter and when/how was she dx?
Hello again Melbee. I did write to you the other day, but my computer crashed and I lost everything i wrote. (I hate it when that happens!!) How did your son's appointment go???You asked about my daughter....she was diagnosed at the age of 6 years during a hospitalization for a medical overdose of asprin (she had Juvenile Rhuematoid Arthritis). Her heart rates were very low for a child (40bpm). They did an EKG twice thinking the machine was broke. Turned out she had all kinds of electrical problems as well as heart muscle problems; all of her ventricular walls were as thick as a grown man. It';s een a life! She recieved a new heart almost 11 years ago. At the moment she is not doing too well, is in the university hospital in heart failure (her 5th go with that). I don't know how much more this transplanted heart can take or how much longer she will be with us.