Pediatric Cardiology Community
enlarged heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

enlarged heart

I am 39 weeks pregnant and had an ultrasound done because my doctor thought the baby was too small.  During the ultrasound they did find my baby a little on the small side, and also that she may have an enlarged heart.  I have to go in to see a specialist to look at my babys heart this week.  I just wanted to know what this means for my baby girl.  Is is something to be fixed easily or will she have to have surgery or what??
No one can really answer this question for you. There are many types of heart enlargement such as Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathies where the walls of the heart are too thick and Dilated cardiomyopathies where the walls of the heart are too thin and the heart will become enlarged. You would need to know what type of problem your baby actually has. The treatments would depend on those issues. I hope that your baby is okay; the fact that they say "she MAY have an enlarged heart" is important. The heart enlarges as a compensating factor so it would be something that you wouldn't want your baby to have. Keep us posted on how she is doing.