Pediatric Cardiology Community
enlarged septum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

enlarged septum

My now 18 year old son was dx with an enlarged septum of his heart at the age of 10(.8 measurment enlargement)  At the age of 16 another echo determined that the enlargement was 1.1 (borderline).  What does this mean and what is the significance of this information for my child.  He is planning on playing college football--should I be concerned and is is ok for him to play contact sports with high cardiac demand?  He has listed that chest pain is experienced durin exertion on his health history that he fills out for the annual sports history.  Shoul he be evaluated by a Cardiologist that is not pediatric due to his age?  We have never been told that it is hypertropic cardiomyopathy.
This is Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and your son should not be doing any kind of sports before being totally evaluated by a good cardiology center. This disease can cause sudden death in athlets. He should have Holters done to see if there are any arrhythmia problems as well as an EP Study done on the heart. This is one of the rare times that children who experience chest pain are actually accurate in saying so. The reason being that the heart muscle has outstripped the blood supply. What happened to your son, what problems was he having at the age of 10, when he was diagnosed?