Pediatric Cardiology Community
heart condition

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

heart condition

Hi , My daughter who is 7 had a murmur in the heart since she was born .
She had been seeing a cardiologist every 6 months , he gave us hope that the hole in her heart would heal by itself until last week when he told us that she had four holes now and that the biggest one is about four mm and that she may need surgery ?!
I ' m worried and need more information.
Thanks a lot.
Hello and welcome to our site! I'm sorry about the situation you have found yourself in. All babies are born with a hole in their heart and most have Functional Heart Murmurs as a result. I have never heard of a child who later developed more holes in their heart. Has he given any explanation for this happening to you? Or has your daughter always had 4 holes. Most babies have their holes close by the time they are one year of age, some close during childhood and some go on to remain open until adulthood. There are many children for whom the hole is much larger than your own daughters and are still asymptomatic meaning they are not having any symptoms as a result of the hole. Are you afraid something is going to happen to your daughter or are you more afraid of the actual surgery? Take care  
To clarify, many, but not all babies are born with a PFO - patent foramen ovale, a type of ASD, that closes shortly after birth. Murmurs are common. However, given that your cardiologist has been following her every 6 months, shows that he obviously realized that this was not a benign murmur, but rather caused by a defect.

It sounds like she likely had a muscular VSD. Muscular VSDs when they close, can sometimes close abnormally, so that the one hole divides itself into a few - it's still the same "one" hole, it's just in the way it's healing itself. Or it could very well be that she had the 4 holes all along, adn they just weren't picked up on echo. VSDs and ASDs do not just "appear".

How is she doing growth wise? Does she exhibit any symptoms such as fatigue, breathlessness, tiring when eating, slow growth, sweating, or frequent respiratory infections.

Normally, if they are going to repair a VSD, it's earlier - and if she's gone this long without any problems, it makes me wonder why he suddenly wants to close it. Did he mention that she was developing any complications such as pulmonary hypertension or regurgitation? A 4mm defect in a 7 year old is VERY small. My daughter's was 4.5mm when she was only 6 months old - and she didn't have surgery.

You may want to call the doctor back and ask for clarification. Ask the following:

1. What type of VSD is it?
2. Why do you NOW want to close it? Is there signs of any of the complciations I mentioned? What is the risk of leaving it open?

Also, I would probably ask for a second opinion. Unless there are complications starting, to me, to put a child who is healthy and not in heart failure, who has a very small VSD, through the risk of OHS, is not worth it. But again, there may be more going on than you realize, too.
Thanks for your concern , i believe that the holes were smaller than they are now , that ' s why he said that he will consult other surgeons to decide if they will recommend surgery or not and that ' s what frightens me .
I know that heart surgery is complicated and she is only seven !
Thanks for your concern , fortunately my daughter doesn ' t have any symptoms , she eats , plays and grows normally .
I will take a second opinion and ask what type of VSD she has.
Welcome back! :) It may help you to know that even tiny babies go through open-heart surgeries and do just fine. My daughter had open heart surgery at 7 herself so an electrical problem in her heart. There was another child in the hospital for surgery to repair a hole in her heart and when they finally brought my daughter back to her room after a couple of days, this other child had had her surgery and was up running the halls!! I couldn't believe it! My daughter took one look at her and said "if she can do that, so can I". They can do wonders with these types of surgeries today. Keep us posted on how you are doing. It sounds like your daughter is actually doing quite well at the moment; probably getting more peace than her mother. Take care!