Pediatric Cardiology Community
heart mumur

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

heart mumur

how do it take for a heart mumur to close
It may never close. My brother is 40 and he still has one, my 5 year old went through cardiac surgery and he still has a murmur and yes sometimes it does get louder due to illness and running around and this is normal most murmurs are innocnet
good luck
michelle
All babies are born with a heart murmur and that murmur usually closes by the time a child turn 12 months.
I really don't know a whole lot about heart murmurs but my advice to anyone who finds their child has a heart murmur is to get testing done and monitor it with new testing every now and then. When my son was 5 weeks old the doctor found a heart murmur and with further testing they found that it was AVSD. A type of heart defect which needed surgery. My niece was also born with a heart murmur she lived with for about four years now and it kept geting louder so I told her to request testing and they found that she has ASD. It did actually start as a heart murmur but as her heart grew so did the murmur and she has now been diagnosed with ASD. Don't be alarmed. My boyfriend was born with a murmur and still has it at 23 years old and he is fine. I just want to let you know that it would be a wise idea to get testing done to be on the safe side. I have come to find that with heart murmurs your doctor will usually not send you for testing unless you request it. I had to ask my son's doctor and my sister actually changed doctors to one who would do the testing when she requested it for her daughter.
I guess I got lucky because my daughter was 2 weeks old when her doctor caught her heart murmur and he immediately recommended sending her to a pediatric cardiologist.  I just wish I knew what everything he said meant.  Such as the fact that it is only heard on the left side of her chest, but can be heard in the back as well as front.  It is only heard on the systolic part of the heart beat, but is loud.  However, they point out the positive, such as she's not blue and she is growing as she should be and she has a pulse in her femoral arteries.  He said something about it being the hole in her heart that she was born with may have not closed.  So I don't know what to think.  I'm hoping they get her in to the specialist soon!
One of the things about heart murmurs that many parents do not understand is that all babies are born with one. The sound is caused by the turbulance of the blood flowing through the heart and across the valves. Almost all murmurs are referred to as "Functional Heart Murmurs" which means there is no structural problems with the heart itself. When there is a structural problem with the heart then the murmur changes in the sound patterns that the doctor hears. Some murmurs are only heard when the patient is in a certain position such as laying down, squatting, sitting or standing. Also murmurs may be heard for the first time during an illness. Almost all murmurs are due to holes in the heart which generally close by the time the baby turns a year of age, however some never do disappear and depending on the symptoms a person has, perhaps surgery is preformed. For the vast majority, that is not the case.