Pediatric Cardiology Community
hole in heart of baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

hole in heart of baby

Dear,

My girl child (age 11 months) has 2 hole in her heart about 5 mm. first echo test have been done 11th day after born. Report Shown ASD disease. doctors said that gererally after 6 month it will be filled. I have done echo in 11th month but the problem is still there. before 7 months child feels sleepy and lazzy. but now my baby is too active. she is  playing, crying and much more doing as like a normal baby.
Please tell me Does she need to treatment now or we will wait for some days.
I am middle class serviceman, and not financially strong. so i am always in stress bout my child. please guide me and also tell me about proper treatment, care and neccessary action.

Ajay Potdar
Your child is being followed by a pediatric cardiologist, correct? Generally, if the baby is growing well and showing no other signs of illness, they will allow the holes to remain untouched and simply observe.

My own son has a VSD that is still open and he will be 2 in a few weeks. We are observing him and continuing to run tests as needed to check for potential complications. Thus far, he is thriving.

My understanding is that if they do not close on their own before age one, they are unlikely to ever close on their own. It is possible to live a normal and active life with ASD/VSD, but the child should always be followed by a cardiologist.
Please be thankful your daughter is active very one at that. not all hole close on time. man oh man I wished they did. you can read some of my post (most of them are on the regular cardiac site) but Chris aka Cree Cree was born with a very loud murmur. he went into heart failure in 2 days and had an echo done it showed that he had a huge hole in the bottom part of his heart. the doctor said that he would need surgery with in 6 months to a year. well just at 2 months he went into heart failure again and needed his surgery, but because he was just getting over being very ill (he had the RSV and was in a vent for 11 days) they needed to wait until his little lungs got stronger. we didn't know that he had two hokes in the upper part of his body, his cardiologist said he didnt't tell us because he thought we had enough on pur plate. so they closed one hole in the upper part and partially closed the other and said it should close on its own in a few months Well he was 3 1/2 months old when he had the surgery and will be 5 years old next minth and still has it. to be honest I don't think his will ever close.
I guess what I am trying to say is it could take a while for it to close or it may never. many people when they get older discover they have a hole in their heart and never knew it and they are doing just fine.
good luck and I hope this was somewhat helpful
michelle
When my brother 3 yrs old, was told a hole in his heart.  Specialist told to take a lot of Scott's Emulsion.  It helps to close the hole.  He was lucky.  The hole finally closed before his 5th birthday.  If too old, it can't close by itself then will need a surgery.  I hope this successful story can share with other.
Dear Ajay, pls take your baby to a pediatric cardiologist and I think you are from India and that too from Mumbai. So if I guessed it rightly then you can meet Dr Dalvi or Dr Kerkar in KEM hospital and get the child evaluated. I am sure you will get the correct advise from either of the two and may be baby may not require an open heart surgery and can be closed with a device which is freely available and you can take your child home the very next day also. Please take good care of your child and believe me god is there.
im from macedonia the same problem has my doughter she is now almost 4 years . wen she was 6 month we went to the doctor .buth the doctor find  murmur in heart advised me  to go in cardio pediat.in nearly city there they sayd me the child have one smal holein hart and evrey 6 month i need to folow with control to card.pediat. waytin to closed .but now my child is 4 years old and its again  present the same problem .i advised with doctor hi sayd me i shuld close with divice.and i wayt the doctor call me . i hope everything goes great .  as i wish for all child who have the same defect to closed so sone with.
i wish you luck with your little one.. some holes just don't close I am 40 and I still have my hole and I lead a normal life... my son who is now 7 had heart surgery when he was 3 1/2 months old to repair his large hole in the bottom part of his heart (VSD) and to repair the ASD the repair of his ASD was NOT successful and to this day he still has it and they feel it may never close... i KNOW it is very scary... but your little one seems to be okay
Michelle
Hi, I'm 54 years old with a hole in my heart that has never been closed. I'm not saying that is the way to go, but I will tell you this, I am very healthy and always have been. In 1958 I went into accute heart failure only to come out of it on my own. Back then technology is not like today. I was to weak to with stand the surgery. Many times in my life the doctors thought I should have the surgery. My parents always being afraid of this, insisted on more test first. I've had catherations 3 times, at 3 years, 10 years and 18 years old. Each time the results were always better then what the doctors thought my condition was. I just recently has another echo, to determine if now is the time and again I was told no need. No need now, but I assure you I was believed to be on my death bed at one time. Mine is called a Ventriculer Septal Defect (VSD), so I'm not sure how closely this all applies to your situation.

Wishing you all the best.
Hi, my son has hole in heart which we found in 5th of his birth. At his 6 month the hole size is 3. When he was 8 month old baby,  doctor said the hole size remains the same and baby is with 6.5kg, so he may need surgery if he does not put half km by next  month.am so worried about it. He just gained 300 go,  next week we have appointment wit doctor. Pls advise on his weight gain,. Does he really require surgery?