Pediatric Cardiology Community
my child's heart stings

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

my child's heart stings

Has anyone heard of a heart "stinging"? I have an 11 yr old daughter complaining that her heart stings occasionally. She also says it beats fast and hard at times, even when she is calm. I listened to her heart and it seems not very rythmic-- a tad off at times. Sometimes it hurts when she stands up or lays down. She also complains of being shaky or of a stomach ache. She is average ht and wt. Maybe a little thin. But averagely active. We went for long, slow walks both days. At 10 pm her pulse was 80 sitting and 130 standing.  This was two nights in a row, plus a few times during the day. But she seems fine today- calm and happy-  no probs or complaints. We have been encouraging water and healthy food- no salt, msg. since this started. What could stinging mean?
Did your child just get on or have an increase in any ADHD medications ? Meds like Adderal or Vivance? These sypthoms are those found w. the use of these types of meds. I am by far no dr. But my nephew at same age had similar issues. It was found that his heart can not tol these types of stimulants. I would no matter what seek a pedi cardio consult to rule out any underlying cardiac conditions. It hurts nothing to get an EKG and or ECHO. I am the mother a cardiac 11yr old boy! I feel you stress and pain! Best of luck! Have a blessed out come!
Thanks for your response! We did go to the ER- Her EKG and chest xray are fine. She has had no meds. or prescrips. But we'll watch caffeine, sodium, etc. Very relieved, but will pay better attention from now on. Also , we added long, relaxing walks to our days. And we know how to take blood pressure, heart rate, now. Good things to know! May God bless you and your family, and strengthen you to continue to take great care of your son.
i am a 13 y/o boy and is having the same problem it stings too. and yes i have taking adhd meds when i was smaller i dont know what kind bit this stinging is scareing me and im 13 i was looking up heart stinging on internet and came to this Topic
Welcome to all of you to our site! Heart stinging is probably nothing to worry about as many teens complain of this and it turns out to be nothing. However, saying that, you should still have your daughter seen by a pediatric cardiologist. There are some electrical issues that go on with the heart's electrical pathways, such as Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome which, unless active, may not show up on the EKG and certainly would not show up on the Echo. In WPW, which is a congenital problem, there is an extra electrical pathway in the heart. At times, the normal electrical impulse will "jump over" to this incorrect pathway and start a fast heart rate going. It then will "jump back" to the correct pathway and the heart rate returns back to normal. During the time when the impulses are on the 'correct track' the WPW will not show up on the EKG. Your daughter should have a 72 hour Holter Monitor placed or better yet a King Of Hearts Monitor, sometimes called an Event Monitor. The difference between the two: The Holtor records the heatbeat for the amount of time it's placed and records every heartbeat; the Event Monitor is worn for 30 days and your daughter herself would push the button whenever she feels her heartbeat is too fast. Hope this helps you. take care