Pediatric Cardiology Community
my son has stopped eating solids after repair of vascular ring

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Hi There, my son recently at 18MO suffered a brain injury and has been left with brain damage, in the beginning he lost his suck and swallow but recently was signed off via videofluroscopy with a safe swallow, his brain injury is coming along nicely and he has been left with basil ganglia damage. he recently had a heart operation to repair a vascular ring which was compressing his airway and foodpipe,  He had the double aortic arch repaired, he is 18 months old l. The operation went all to plan lasted 3 hours in total, he was intubated at 9 in the morning and extubated at about 5pm, he was in ICU for 24 Hours and home in 5 days. he has got mild tracheomalacia but never required any medication or anything and the stridor seams to have gone except on excersize when its still present which I am told will take some time. Its been 2 weeks since the opoeration and one thing im concerned about is that although his sickness has stopped instantly he can only tollorate liquids at the minute and is gagging on solids.... he had a bad cough when he came out of ICU which has gone now, no temp or anything though. the doctors think he could have picked up a virus and with intubation etc his throat could be soar still, do you have any other explanation, surely nothing from the operation could have made it worse?

Has anyone been through a similar experiance, please help
I certainly wouldn't think the operation made it worse. I do know that being intubated can make a child's throat sore and may make it harder for him to want to eat. I would tell his pediatrician, or surgeon, about what is going on because they may want to have a look at his throat again just to be on the safe side. Take care  
Thank you for your comments, its very difficult at the minute as everyone is passing the book, im getting tired of being fobbed off and speaking to different people and having to explain myself all over again to different people.
I can certainly understand your frustration! Always remember that you are his advocate, without your pushing, nothing will get done, so push. One of the things that you might ask yourself is what does your instinct tell you. Mothers have an uncanny ability to know when something is wrong, even if the doctors disagree. Pediatricians in training are always taught: "Listen to the mother, she knows her children better than you do." Another thing you may want to do if you haven't already is to also ask this question on the " Ask a Doctor" forum as well. They may be able to help you sort through some of the issues you are dealing with. You are certainly welcome to come back here on this forum and vent if you feel the need to; there are a lot of parents on here who can relate to how you feel. Take care.      
Yes thank you for the advice, ive posted my messege all over the place... Speech and language have just been out and his swallow is good so we will see what the next few weeks bring... thanks and have a good evening
Take care!