Pediatric Cardiology Community
open heart sugery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

open heart sugery

My son is seven and has SVAS and SVPS. We were informed that his pressure was to high and surgery was inevitable. my sons surgery is scheduled for June 6th I'm so scared and was wondering if any one in a similar situation could share with me anything that could help or just some words of advice.
I'm so sorry; I wrote an answer to your post and my internet service went down and apparently everything I wrote was lost! I hate it when that happens! I am sure you must be worried sick over this surgery. Perhaps you might want to talk to the hospital social worker and find out if you may be allowed to tour the unit your son will be after his surgery. There are a lot of alarms that are always going off; don't let that scare you, most of the time it means very little. When your son comes out of surgery he will be very pale, but his color will soon start to come back; for some mothers, myself included, that was very hard to see. He will more than likely be sedated heavily and have a breathing tube inserted to help him breathe. He will have several IVs running as well. EKGs and X-rays as well as labs will also be run often as monitoring tools so you must understand that this doesn't mean that your son is getting worse. I have known of children who have been up and down the halls within a day or two of having surgery; even transplanted children are up and around in a few days and many go home after a week of being in the hospital. Medicine has come a long way. Keep in touch and let us know how things are going. We are here to support you in any way that we can. Take care.