Pediatric Cardiology Community
pediatric cryoablation wpw -post op problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

my son had catheter cryoablation for wpw, right side near the AV node two days ago.  he reportedly had a "successful" result and was sent home.  we were told that he could return to school tomorrow.  However, he has been experiencing chest pain (which he describes as feeling as though he got punched in his heart), along with recurrent lightheadedness, accompanied by profuse sweating. During these episodes he turns pale and what I would describe as "clammy."  I am concerned that ANY exertion (including bending over for too long, looking for dvd's in a cabinet), could cause him to pass out.  No nausea and his heart rate/pulse has been normal for the most part.  His extremities are warm to touch, no sign of infection at cath sites.  He did lose color in his torso last night (no abnormal skin temperature), but today appears normal.  He did report one episode of rapid heartbeat, but did not take his pulse or monitor the duration.  VERY concerned and wondering if these are normal symptoms 2-3 days post-op.  Thanks.
I would have to clear up something so that people are not mislead by your topic: your son did not have a post op ablation, he had an ablation. Post-op is short for post operation and that would refer to an actual open heart surgery where they cut open the sternum and he would have been in the hospital for a week or more. Your son probably went to the cath lab for this ablation. It is not uncommon for a person to have some chest discomfort, or even some palpatations , after having an ablation. It can take several months for the heart muscle (cells) to 'settle back down'. Your son was probably not clammy, as you described his extremities as being warm to the touch. When a person is truely clammy, unlike when he is just sweaty, he is actually cold to the touch which is the opposite of what you have written here. Give a call to his doctor, he's probably just fine, maybe that will help to ease your mind some. Take care.    
Actually he DID turn clammy. His hands and feet alone were warm to the touch. I did call his doctor, who is concerned as I was told that his persistent symptoms are not normal particularly since the profuse sweating and dizzy spells come on suddenly even as my son is completely inactive lying down. As of yesterday he began also experiencing extremely high pulse each time he got up to use the bathroom. The pressure in his chest has also not abated and his doctor also felt that this was very concerning. We are returning to the hospital upon drs instructions. I will post results for benefit of others who may have similar unexpected irregular symptoms. Thanks.
For the benefit of others reading, my son's adverse symptomology occurred post CRYOABLATION, not radiography or "burning" lesions, not open heart surgery. Also the tech med term "extremities" refers ONLY to my sons hands, feet, arms, legs, NOT torso, head or neck. Hope these clarifiactions help. Thanks.
How have things turned out with the doctor's appointment with your son? My daughter had an open-heart surgery for her first ablation in Houston and several cath ablations after that. She had several of the problems you have written about in your post above although the symptoms she had may have been, thinking about it now, due to her cardiomyopathy. If you visit the arrhythmia boards, you may also find people go through a lot of what you are writing about and there is great support on that forum as well.