Pediatric Cardiology Community
second opinion differs from first
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

second opinion differs from first

Our son, age 7, has a small to medium-sized VSD. His pediatric cardiologist has been watching him from birth. His symptoms have been slight, just being short of breath while playing hard, and he is growing well. Recent tests have shown that his heart is slightly enlarged. His cardiologist has decided it is now time to patch the hole. However, the cardiologist we took him to for a second opinion believes the risks are minimal and that surgery is unneccesary. How do we decide what to do?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Take another opinion,as from what i can see your son is fine,slight breathlessness is ok,i guess normal.Donot hurry into surgery ! I got my son operated when he was 10 yrs ,he is now 14 and the same doc is suggesting another surgery saying they had anticipated the development- a subaortic membrane. I strongly feel had I not got him operated then maybe i could have saved him one surgery, it feels....... !
Blank
306245_tn?1244388567
In my opinion I would have it done especially if he is developing an enlarge heart. there is no promise when surgeries that not one person will require more when they get older. if he is short of breath and has the enlargement, I would go for the repair.
ask your cardiologist with whom you have been followed by, if you should do it, what are the risk, minimal for that, what to expect and do you think he may require any more surgeries or anymore issues with his heart.
my son had his ASD and VSD repaired when he was 3 months old his cardiologist told us what we could expect before during and after, however with no promise, and he is still being watched by him.
what do you in your gut feel. usually that will tell you. try not to second guess.

Good Luck
michelle

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pediatric Cardiology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703