Pediatric Cardiology Community
should i try something else?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

should i try something else?

My daughter was born with TGA, ASD, VSD and pulmonary stenosis. She is two and a half now and doing great. I'm pregnant with my second child and my doctor put in for a referral for a scan to check the babys heart and my insurance denied it. I'm wondering what I can do to make sure he is ok.
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
999780_tn?1263675571
I would appeal it and write a letter to the approval dept.Keep on them.
Blank
It says that I have 30 days to write a letter. The letter was sent to the wrong address so should I just write one anyway?
Blank
Hello and welcome to our site. Appeal it and when you send a letter ask the doctor to also write a letter to send with it explaining why he feels it is important to do the test. Send the letter with a request sent back to know when they have received the letter; that will help if there is any question of dates.
Blank
I am surprised that your insurance company would not cover a fetal echocardiogram given the fact that one of your children has a significant form of congenital heart disease.  One of the indications for such a test is exactly that.

However, a routine OB abdominal ultrasound performed by a competent sonographer should be able to determine if there are any cardiac abnormalities in the fetus.  Should he/she suspect that one exists, you should then be referred to a pediatric cardiologist for a fetal echocardiogram and this exam should definitely be covered by insurance.
Blank
My last ultrasound was done and I let the tech know what was going on and she tried to check, but because of the baby's position his rib cage was casting a shadow on his heart. My OB told me that he wanted him checked before and after he was born. I feel like he thinks its important enough. I just want to do everything I can on my end. Thanks for all the help.
Blank
Hi

I think it is important that he be checked before he is born.  It is unusual that the technician was unable to image the heart.  Hopefully she will be able to on your next visit.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pediatric Cardiology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...