Pediatric Cardiology Community
so confused and worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

so confused and worried

A couple weeks ago my daughter took my 23 month old grandson to the ER because of an asthma attack just to find out when an xray was done that he has a slightly enlarged heart, so his peditrician the next day ordered an EKG and the EKG  said it showed an enlatged right atrium, but said he was waiting for the cardiology report. Well when it came back all they called and told us was that the cardiologists confirmed what the EKG said, so my daughter took him back and asked the peditrician just what exactly did the cardiologists say that the EKG showed and he told her that the Cardiologists said that the EKG showed a slightly swollen valve between the right atrium and right ventricle so we take him the 27th for an echocardiogram.  We are very worried also, but the peditrician said he didn't think he has a major heart problem because he is growing good, he has plenty of energy, he loves to eat, and his color was good. we are puzzled of what can be wrong and if this type of condition can be fixed, so I can sympathize with you we are in the same boat you are in with our grandson. plus when the peditrician listens to his chest he says his heart sounds good, but when he was born he did have a heart murmur.
Hello again, I decided to write on this posting as best I can. The first thing I will tell you is that ALL babies have a heart murmur. It is called Functional Heart Murmurs and is perfectly normal. If there was a form of congenital heart disease in your grandson at birth, the sounds heard in the bloodflow through his heart would have been diffrent from that found in a functional heart murmur, so realistically, that probably is not of concern. At this point in time, there may be a different type of murmur heard due to a valve issue. There can be many different reasons for your grandson to have an enlarged right ventricle, everything from a valve problem to a muscle disease which is called a cardiomyopathy, that usually however, affects the left ventricle, not the right. The fact that your grandson is doing as well as he is, is a good sign. Understand that x-rays, especially in young children can be very misleading because children tend to not take in the deep breaths that is needed to get a good picture. If a child moves just a little bit it can show an enlarged heart. The same with EKGs, they can sometimes be very misleading. The true test to determine if there is a problem, as well as the degree of the problem in question, is the echo. At present you do not have a definite diagnosis, so it is hard to help you to understand exactly what is going on. Valves can always be replaced; cardiomyopathies are a whole different story so it is important to get the diagnosis. Once that is done, study everything you can about that problem, that understanding will help to calm your fears. make sure you take a list of questions with you to the pediatric cardiologist, including a prognosis; that's the question all parents want to ask but are too afraid to. (Pediatric cardiologists understand that) Ask about any restrictions on his activities and if there are any placed on him, ask what kind of activities he will be allowed to do. I wish you the best; come back and let us know how things are going; we are here as a support.
Ty very much for your answer, It sounds like what the Dr told my daughter. He told her friday that my grandson had no symptons of a heart problem and that his heart sounded good and so did his lungs.  He was telling her about how an xray and EKg could come back abnormal with infants and toddlers.  What has me so worried is that my daughter had just found out she had hyoerthyroidism when she found out she was having a baby. She was on many medications for the hyeperthyroidism thru the whole pregnancy, but i do believe as close as they checked him after birth he surly didn't have a heart problem, because my daughter also had gestational diabetes and was on I forget what they call that medicine and when he was born his glucose levels dropped to 9 and we almost lost him. He was in the hospital a week but when he came home they said he was healthy.  He was having an asthma attack when he had the xray and ekg. could that have had anything to do with the results?
Hello again. No, there really isn't anything in what you have written which would lead me to believe that was the cause for the problem. If your daughter had been taking heart medications, I would have questioned that, but not this. Have your daughtwr ask the pediatric cardiologist about this if she is wondering. The last thing she needs is a guilt trip over what she did during her pregnancy. Congenital Heart Disease is actually very common; about 1 in every 100 births. Out of that number 95% of those children can be medically or surgically helped and the vast majority go on to lead perfectly normal lives. Take care
We had Hunters echocardiogram done the 27th and i am happy to say we got a good report on his heart.  I don't know why we are told things that worry us to death and then they take their time to let us know. It took us 3 weeks of worry and sleepless nights b4 we found out that the xray and ekf were wrong. Thank you everyone for your support and i will keep checking this forum and praying for you and your loved ones. I know God answered my prayer.

Hello again. I am so glad to hear this news. It is a classic example of how tests can be so misleading! I wish you and your family the very best!