Pediatric Cardiology Community
ultra sound at 21 weeks baby girl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

ultra sound at 21 weeks baby girl

Tuesday June 28 we just had our 21 week ultra sound and found out it was a healthy little girl. Today doctor called and said not to be alarmed but our baby's left atrium of her heart looked slighty enlarged and wanted to schedule a level 2 ultra sound to make sure everything looked good. Has anyone out there had this told to you and what was the conclusion of the level 2 ultra sound? I am
Hello and welcome to our site. I am not sure what you are referring to as a "level 2" ultrasound. The readings on an ultrasound are only as good as the tech who is running the test. One tech once told me that if a tech wanted to give someone a heart problem, they could do it. I believe that. There are a lot of reasons for the baby's atrium to appear slightly enlarged. Have you had this test done yet? If so, what were the results? Take care  
We have the ultrasound and the doctor said there is a slight variance of the left atrium.  But she and the tech said they have never seen it before with a left atrium, only with the right.  She said that the heart is functioning and everything looks good.  She said she wants another doctor that specialized in looking at babies hearts I forgot the name to do an echo himself to make sure everything is alright. So we took it as good news and don't know how feel news from it.  The echo will be in a few weeks.  Our doctor looked at results and is not going to refer us to them as of now and we just need to keep praying and wait.
This is coming as a mother of a baby with 4 congenital heart defects..if 2 ultrasounds confirmed a variance in the enlargement of the left atrium please get another opinion.  I am not a doctor and do not know how significant (or not) this is, but there are over 50 different tyes of congenital heart defects and you really need a fetal echo performed by a pediatric cardiologist because that shows how the blood is flowing through the heart and is much more accurate.  Not to worry, it could be nothing! BUT if it's not you will want this information to plan ahead of time for the care of your baby, as we did not find out until 6 hours after birth and had to make emergency arrangements to be away from home for 2 weeks while our son had his OHS (and we had 4 ultrasounds!)...in the very least ask that your baby have an echo after birth to rule out any complications...good luck with everything and congratulations : )  

(BTW, my son is 3 and doing really well today!)
Thank u for your honesty and experience. I am so glad your son is doing good.  In two weeks we will have the echo done.  I really like your advise about having one after birth.  If I may ask, will your son be able to live a normal life? Thank you again.
Hello again. I have no doubt that your baby will be scheduled for another ultrasound after she is born, probably before she leaves the hospital. If no one mentions that, ask to have it done. There are some things that can cause the left atrium to enlarge; the good news it that they would have seen those problems on the echoes that have already been done. I hope you will come back and keep us posted on how your baby is doing. Take care
You are very welcome! My son will be able to live a normal life for a child with a heart defect..it will never be "normal" (as some drs. may tell you).  Most normal kids do not have a ped. cardiologist or get EKG's and Echo's on a regular basis, have hernias from previous operations or worry about what the future holds because the operation that fixed his heart was only invented 30 years ago,  we do not know what it will happen with his heart when he is 30, 40 or 50.  That said he is in very good health, had a great repair and we take it year by year.

It sounds like you will be a loving father, and you are so lucky to have doctors who are watching out for your little girl.  There is a possibility her heart is just fine, but I know it's impossible not to worry.   My son is three, and he has SO much energy, is smart, loving, kind, mischevious, everything I would want a son to be...there are days I forget what we have been through or that he has a repaired heart at all.  His life is normal to him and it has become normal to us..IF your daughter has a heart defect you will find a new normal, but it doesn't change who your child is or will be or how much you'll love her..it actually enhances those things..hope this helps : )
What do you consider a normal life for your son?  You write that he has so much energy and is doing so well and yet you do not seem to feel normal. Just curious how you see your son and how you see his future. Are you questioning his future even though things seem to be normal for him? Take care
Just wanted to let you know that our last echo cardiogram brought great news.  The doctor said the left atrium and everything else look normal and working properly. There was no leaks or variances.  He carefully checked the whole heart.    To make sure everything continues normal we will see him in six weeks, which it is a few weeks away now.  Thank u for your input and thoughts and prayers.  I will continue to keep u posted.
This is such wonderful news!! I do hope you keep all of us informed how things are going. There is nothing worse than having this black cloud hanging over the top of your head! Take care and my best to you and your wife.