ventricluar septal defect size 0.6mm
One of my twin daughter is recently diagnosed with the tiny mid muscular VSD of size 0.6mm. The Pediatric cardiologist has mentioned that there is nothing to worry and the hole may fill spontaneously, however I am very concerned and wanted to check what are the closure rates for such defect. She is also diagnosed with PFO ( patent foreman ovale). She is 4 months old. Please let me know if I should be concerned and take any special precautions for her well being.
Hello and welcome to our site! Your baby is perfectly healthy. ALL babies are born with a heart murmur and ALL babies have a PFO which is there so that blood can be transferred between the mother and baby before the baby is born. That hole, along with the murmur, which is referred to as a Functional Murmur usually disappear by the time the baby turns a year of age. For a very few, the murmur remains for many years with no ill effect. Even the size of your baby's VSD is very small and leads one to believe it is getting smaller all the time. Take care
Thanks , this is really helpful.
hi there
The hole in the VSD sounds really small.. it could close.. however even if it doesn't i am 40 and still have a hole in my heart.... i am perfectly fine... my son has a pfo and he is 7 1/2 and it hasn't closed and he suffers no effects from the PFO.
good luck and enjoy your twins