Pediatric Cardiology Community
what is the long term outcome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

what is the long term outcome

hello
my 9 years old son had an echo. test recently it was order by his doctor after she heard a murmur during his yearly check up.
his echo. shows that he has a bicuspid aortic valve with dilated root valve. Annulus is 1.9 cm +2.7 z score.
aortic Sinus is 2.5cm +2 z score. Ascending aorta 2.3 cm +3.5 z score.
his blood pressure is very good both in arm and leg. as well the oxygen level and heart rate are normal. there is no aortic stenosis or insufficiency.
he weights 57 lb and about 52 inches tall, very active and healthy- and never showed any sign of health problem.
the only thing his doctor recommended is to do a yearly Echo test to monitor his heart and for him to stay away from contact sport like football, which is very head for him to do since he loves sports.
my  question is from the resolts of the echo. is this a prograssive aortic root dilation and what is the long term outcome of his condetion. als is there any thing can be done at this age to correct his aortic valve.
thanks
I also have a son with a bicuspid aortic valve and aortic dilation.  He is 15 yrs old now.  He was diagnosed in May 2008 by chance.  At 13 he was 65" and 109 lbs. with an ascending aorta of 2.64 (z score +2.47).  At 15 1/2 he is 70" and 145 lbs. with an ascending aorta of 4.0 (z score +5.48).  This was on 2/15/10  He has been restricted from High School Wrestling, Football, Basketball, Baseball.  He is very athletic.

Our doctor has our son checked every six months for any change.  We have asked him the questions of why can't we just fix it now and let him go on to his very active  life.  He has told us that because of the fact that he is still growing if we did any surgery on the aorta now we would have to probably have to have it done again due to the fact that he is still growing.  So as you know it is a very agonizing wait for everyone involved.  We were told last month that when our sons aortic dilation reached 4.5 he will be referred to a surgeon.

Suggestion:  If your son has a big growth spurt contact the cardiologist and have him checked out.  The aorta will dilate as he grows.  A year is a long time to wait for a check up.

Another thing you can look into is Losartan for the future.  You could do some research and discuss it with your son's doctor. The attached link you might find interesting.  http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2006/04_06_06.html

Good luck in your journey,
Sue
Hi macbi.  I am also a mother to a 9 year old son who has a bicupid aortic valve and aortic stenosis and aortic regurgitation.  He was diagnosed at 8 months of age.  we have been going to the cardiologist yearly since then and for the last 2 years more frequestly since he has been going through a growth spurt.  Our son has had some mild changes with his valve and is also on restrictions of no contact sports and no isometric exercises( weight lifting) mostly.  

i am with both you and Sue about why can't they fix it and we can move on.  unfortunatly we have to get them as grown up as possible so we don't have to have a smany surgeries....

It is tough asking questions of the doctor and not always getting a clear answer.  Next visit you have wite down all the questions you have and write down their answers so you have a clearer picture of what they are saying.  I work in the health care field and i can't think clearly when it comes to my son...i have to write things down and go over them a few million times.........

Thisis a great place to ask people all kinds of questions...
Take care and good luck.
Shelly