Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
2-Year Old Son - Small Penis/Drop on Growth Charts
About This Forum:

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

2-Year Old Son - Small Penis/Drop on Growth Charts

My son is 22 months old and his penis has always seemed very small in comparison with other boys his age.  I noticed recently that his weight and height haven't changed from a while.  During his last 18-month well baby visit he was in the 90th and 95th percentiles for weight and height.  Based on his current measurements he would now be in the 50th percentile for height and the 75th percentile for weight.  Should I be concerned?  Also, I am 5'10" and his father is 6'3".
Related Discussions
310293_tn?1274743373
I would start with your pediatrician to tell if indeed your concern about his penis is something that needs further workup. The genitalia develops in utero in response to pituitary hormones and if a child is born with a small penis or hypospadias or other concern we do tend to look for anyother sign of pituitary problems(hypoglycemia, hypothyroidism, low growth hormone)
Later we may watch for slowing growth. However, by age 2 if your child indeed had hypopituitarism it would definitely be evident. These children get sick and are usually worked up far sooner.
So again start with your doc and address all your concerns and talk about the growth chart with them.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank