Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
5 year old's penis size?

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

5 year old's penis size?

my son is 5 years old, he is about 45 inches tall and weighs about 45 lbs.    this is going to be probably the strangest question you've received but i have been concerned about this now for at least two years.  i am very worried about my son's penis size.  his 2 1/2 year old brother is bigger than he is in that "department".  i actually think that my 5 year old is noticing that too.  he always seemed small, but i kept saying oh--he'll grow into it.  well, to me, it doesn't seem like he has grown.  there is no question that he has one, but lets put it this way...when he uses the potty, he can just barely hold on to it... i have heard of certain reason for this and it just really concerns me.  i am hoping that he fits into the catagory of "concealed" penis and not micropenis.  i know this seems really strange for me to be asking, but i am just concerned for him.  
Your son is appropriate height and weight, 75th for height and 90th for weight, usually those children that appear to have small penis size due to a fat pad are obese, really obese.
So penis size is a concern due to its relation to the pituitary, we become concerned about hypopituitarism, the hormones that the pituitary make include LH(which triggers some of the genitalia development), TSH( that dictates the thyroid), ACTH(that runs the adrenal gland) and growth hormone, so far your description does not sound like we have a low growth hormone level and good weight and height are another sign to me that they thyroid and adrenals are working fine as well. I would start with your pediatrician, they need to assess the "stretched length" and see how he compares to age standards, there is always variation, if he is in any doubt he can consult with a pediatric endocrinologist or even a urologist, some children may need a little testosterone if anything but more likely he will just need to be assessed. Other things may include a chordee-which is skin attached to the base that makes it appear shorter but is pulling on the skin. This is addressed by a urologist as well.
So start with your pediatrician
A related discussion, Very concerned was started.