Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
Any growth possible?

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Any growth possible?

Dr. Deanna
Thank you for responding to my question.  Mom's height is 5'6" and Dad is 5'10".  What would be in the normal range?  His Dr. has recommended that we have an MRI of his head.  Of course my main concern is that the MRI report nothing abnormal.  That being said, is there any hope for more growth since the wrist is not yet closed? Do you ever see exceptions to the growth plate rule?

Thank you!
for a boy with a dad 5'10 and mom 5'6 the midparental height is around 5'10, but the shortest that a child could be with these parents and considered acceptable (-2SD) is 5'6". In order to treat a child with gh they must have imaging to rule out a mass lesion of some sort, again like you said, your concern and honestly your real hope is that there is nothing abnormal, but it is necessary, you cannot treat a child without knowing what the anatomy of the pituitary is. With open growth plates there may be an option for growth hormone but you and the peds endo need to discuss this personally to see how much growth is left and if he qualifies.  I do not and nor do my colleagues treat patients with closed growth plates, it is a contraindication for growth hormone.