Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
Daughter with precocious puberty

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Daughter with precocious puberty

I have a daughter who is 9 years old. She started pubertyPuberty and adolescence when she was 7, when I saw the (she was growing Breast lumps) I took her to her peditrician. The doctor sent me to have scan, everything I guess came fine and the doctor said that she was just going through  In the past 2 years my daughter has went through this process I think very rapidly, she now has and she is an A cup. She is 4'10" and all at 9 years old. She still has not started her monthy cycles yet but we have been talking and expecting it sometime soon, as the doctor said this usually happens 1-2 years after and summer will be 2 years. I started doing some reseach the past few weeks, I don't know why I didn't do it before I guess I was just taking the doctors word for everything, but i read a lot of posts about this and most girls with precosious puberty see an Endocrinologist and have tests done yearly. Bone tests and such is what I understand. So should I have been taking my daughter to a specialist? Should I take her to one now? Should I be worried that I have taken her and it has been almost 2 years now? I am just a little freaked out, because I don't understand why her pediatrician didn't say anything about a specialist. She told me that this was normal and some girls just hit young, but then I read  that 7 is too early. I don't know I am now having to take my daughter to a counsilor, (this is a different topic) she is now in a very depressed stage about her, kids at, they accuse her of "stuffing" her bra. She asks me everyday why she has to be different from the other kids at her. It is very hard. I found a very good counsilor though and we are in the begining stages of seeing her. I was happy to see that so many people can relate to me though, because it feels like we are alone in this battle and now i find out there are so many girls going through this same thing.  So anyways please tell me what I should do. Any help would be appreciated.
If I was you I would take her to a endocrinologist. I started puberty when i was 6 and started having periods when i was 8 because of a condition called congenital adrenal hyperplasia.  I was born with it and the docs missed the diagnosis for years. In my opinion she should be checked out more thoroughly.
Your doctor should have had done a BONE AGE XRAY which would show how far she has grown age wise.  It is never too late.  Take your daughter to a pediatric endochronologist.  I had my daughter tested after her pediatrican referred us to an endochronologist.  Your daughter is only 9 and is too young to be experiencing early puberty.  My daughter takes lupron shots once per month to slow her growth.

It is never too late don't sit around and do nothing.
A related discussion, precocious puberty and weight gain was started.
A related discussion, Bone Age Xray results was started.
A related discussion, updates about early puberty was started.
A related discussion, Almost 9 Year old - Precocious Puberty was started.
A related discussion, Tootsie Pains was started.
A related discussion, Precocious Puberty...looking for answers was started.