Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
Height concerns for 15yr old son

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Height concerns for 15yr old son

My son is 15.1 years old and in excellent physical health. We recently saw his pediatritian and found that he had dropped down 2 levels on the height growth charts. He is at 40 percentile now whereas he was always in/above the 75 percentile. Bone age xray of his hand reads 17 years. All gland tests are normal. Tanner stage is V. He is 5'5 and weighs 144lbs. His father is 5'10 and mom is 5'0. Both are healthy. My son experienced and still has on and off pain in his knees from Osgood-Schlatter.
My question is this: Since the bone age in the hand shows that his growth is close to being done, does that mean that he will be 5'5 in adulthood. What are the chances that his longer, limb bones are not done growing in length and that the growth plates in the knees and ankle are still not mature (since bone age is determined from the hand)? If the other growth plates are still open, would medication to slow down or delay bone maturity still help him grow to a taller adult height? These meds, we have been told, would block estrogen biosynthesis; would they have any adverse effects on his body? And how much more growth are we talking about? Would HGH therapy help at this stage and what are the side effects of all these meds? We know that as far as genetics are concerned, he is projected to be below average in height, but is there a safe therapy that can sqeeze 2 or 3 more inches out of the growth plates?
Thank you in advance for any information you can provide us.
Bone age of 17 means growth is completed, his parents height give him a midparental height of about 5'7 with a normal lowest height at 5'3 and tallest height normal for his parents of 5'11" He is perfect, excellent health. He does not need treatment do NOT treat him rather let him know how blessed he is to have his health.  He is perfect!