Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
Is there any way to get some more growth?

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Hi, i'm 17 and last year i found out that i was hypothyroid (was probably slowly deteriorating from age 15). Now with thyroxine pills my TSH and FT4 are normal. However, i am really small - 152cm and lightweight and have always been this way. My weight has remained the same for many years and it is impossible to gain weight, but this isn't a big issue: it is more height concerns. I hit puberty about 13 and a half and started developing but very slowly and i never grew in height at all. It was so difficult watching others my age gain in height/ have growth spurts and see their breasts developing. I know know that my slowly malfunctioning thyroid may have contributed to this, but i feel cheated out of height and sexual development. I have body hair and have periods but i look about 13/14. Is there anything that i can take or do to become taller or more well developed?

I would first talk with your pediatrician or internist, an xray of your left hand will determine if there is any growth left, also a midparental height needs to be determined, despite having hypothyroidism you very well may have low final height prediction based on your parents, if your bones are completed meaning that of a 16 or 17 yo girl then you are completed with your linear height. Other things to consider if you have low thyroid include other autoimmune problems with slow growth, this includes celiac disease and your doc will know if you are a candidate to be tested, this is an allergy per se to wheat and patients tend to grow slowly and not gain weight well.