Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
Prediabetic
About This Forum:

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Prediabetic

I have a type 1 son (diag. 10/07) and now it seems a prediab. daughter of 11.  Her ICA screen: +, titer: 320, GAD 65AB:5.7,C-Pep.: 1.9, A1c 5.9.  Fasting glucose has read between 109-123.  These tests were run as a result of her testing herself on a whim (after 2 tacos, french fries,shake meal) & got a reading of 334! Her ped. & sons Endo see this as a wait & see situation.  She is currently non symtomatic. We continued testing her for a bit after and she did tend to run high after regular meals (waffles, syrup, milk= 252  or dinner chicken potato, salad =107) Suggestions were to discontinue checking, (we were going to drive our daughter and ourselves crazy),to take Soda out of her diet and try to keep her eating healthy,  What I dont get is- it was my understanding  one either has diab. or not.  Eating high in surgar or carbs will not make one diabetic. How will curbing her diet keep her from becoming full on diabetic?  I am DESPERATE to get her in some form of trial to head off any progression that seems to be imminent. CHLA has an oral insulin study but that seems to have shown not to work (per son's endo.), do you know of any other?  What can I do- I am spinning my wheels and falling apart trying to keep this disease from taking another one of my children.  Her Ped. said she was a person who tended to run high herself and was taking "glucosage" .  What do you suggest I do at this point.