Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
Prediabetic

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Prediabetic

I have a type 1 son (diag. 10/07) and now it seems a prediab. daughter of 11.  Her ICA screen: +, titer: 320, GAD 65AB:5.7,C-Pep.: 1.9, A1c 5.9.  Fasting glucose has read between 109-123.  These tests were run as a result of her testing herself on a whim (after 2 tacos, french fries,shake meal) & got a reading of 334! Her ped. & sons Endo see this as a wait & see situation.  She is currently non symtomatic. We continued testing her for a bit after and she did tend to run high after regular meals (waffles, syrup, milk= 252  or dinner chicken potato, salad =107) Suggestions were to discontinue checking, (we were going to drive our daughter and ourselves crazy),to take Soda out of her diet and try to keep her eating healthy,  What I dont get is- it was my understanding  one either has diab. or not.  Eating high in surgar or carbs will not make one diabetic. How will curbing her diet keep her from becoming full on diabetic?  I am DESPERATE to get her in some form of trial to head off any progression that seems to be imminent. CHLA has an oral insulin study but that seems to have shown not to work (per son's endo.), do you know of any other?  What can I do- I am spinning my wheels and falling apart trying to keep this disease from taking another one of my children.  Her Ped. said she was a person who tended to run high herself and was taking "glucosage" .  What do you suggest I do at this point.
Who is your endocrinologist? Yes, there are wonderful studies that we do at Vanderbilt and there are many many other sites that are also part of this consortium called Trialnet, your hospital does not need to be part of trialnet for you to enroll your child. Firstly, ask your peds endo for your son to call a trialnet institution, they can send tube for blood samples and they can screen her to see if she is indeed a candidate and if so she can travel to the closest facility that has the study that she qualifies for.  I am positive about the oral insulin study, it has just begun, I totally understand your stress, we have 2000 kids with diabetes in our practice.
Get with a trialnet location, get your peds endo to call one or call 1 - 800 - HALT - DM1 (1-800-425-8361)