Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
Stop growing height?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Stop growing height?

Dear Dr,
I 'm feeling guilty and may be you can help me.
My son was consulted growth hormone deficency in Turkey 1993, he was 11y/o and 129.5cm. Same year I brought him here US, took him Endicrinologist . Tested all over again and they told us it's not necessary to give any hormone or other prescription and need to check every 6 months. Bone age was 12 months behind biological age. After 3 consecutive check, they told us his growth rate is 4-5cm/ year, it's slow but growth rate is normal within %5 percentile and not necessary to check again. He was growing at this rate and I measured his height on January 2008 and found 156,5cm which is only more 1.5cm prior 6months measurement. I took my son to dr last week. Dr. told me he completed puberty and will not grow anymore. I was shocked and asked her to check x-ray and hand x-ray showed 17.5y/o. She said nulver growth closed but radial growth plate is still open and can't do anything. I shocked again. He is 15y/ 8 months and his height is 156.5cm. I'm 1.70cm and my wife is 156cm. He has hair underarm and has a few hair on his face last year and got a little bit more this year. He did't see wet-dream and acne just started couple months ago on his face.
1) How come his bone age gone further? It was behind at first consultation.
2) how come he completed puberty without seen all indications?
3) Is there any chance/ option to increase his height?
4) If he was your son where would take for treatment/ second consultation?

I very appreciate if you can help me.