Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
What Happens Now

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

What Happens Now

A few weeks ago I asked you a question with my 4year old having blood and protein in his urine. Well he has been to a specialist, she had a look at his bladder under sudation and has a I.V.P ( x ray of kidney) done. There was nothing wrong with his bladder, but they found that his r kidney is 60mm where as the l kidney is 110mm. She told us that she still doesn't know why he has blood and protein in his urine and that it is not from the kidneys, according to them the kidneys are functioning right it's just that he only basicly have one kidney working. I don't  feel comfy with her finding as she said that the x ray doesn't show them anything else, so he is prop born like  that there is nothing that they can do for him. Is there something that she could be missing to the cause of the kidney and that this might even be the reason for the blood of the urine. Do go and see another doctor or just make pease with her findings, somthing just doesn't sound right.
I am an endocrinologist NOT a kidney specialist but here is my two cents. The doctor that you saw sounds like a urologist, a surgeon that specializes in anatomical kidney problems-like stones, reflux etc.
You now need to see a pediatric nephrologist, this is the pediatric specialist for the kidney function, if they are concerned they may even biopsy the kidney or do urine studies like 24 hour collection.
Hate to send you to another doc but that is what I would recommend if indeed there is still blood and protein.