Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
What is a normal TSH level for a 6 y.o. female?

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

I recently posted a question to you on 3/25/08 regarding some confusing lab results for my six year old daughter. We recently learned her ANA was less than 1-40 (normal), her thyroglobulin AB was 2.8 (norm = 0-14.4), and her thyroid peroxidase was 1.5 (norm = 0-3.9).
As you'll recall, her result initially were TSH = 2.820 (norm 0.360-5.400), her Total T4 = 18.7 (norm 4.5-16.1), and her Total T3 = 361 (norm 121-233). Then, a week later, she had results as follows: Her CBC and Sed were completely normal; Her TSH = 6.910 (high this time), Free T4 = 1.24 (norm 0.65 - 2.30), and her Total T3 = 224 (normal this time). Her pediatrician wasn't sure if there was some sort of lab error w/ the first results, or she was in very early thyroiditis.
I would like to know what the normal TSH level is for a six year old female, preferably in uIU/ml. I would also mention that w/ her first blood draw, the phlebotomist said she only had enough to run the test once, and by the looks of the tube, I'd say she probably had 2 ml of serum (I am a nurse). Do you know whether such a small amt of serum would effect the concentration of thyroid hormones, and subsequently alter the first test results?
I don't want to put my daughter through anything unneccessarily, but I am afraid to just dismiss the first results as a "lab error". My thoughts are that we need to have these tests repeated in a month or so, to see if ther's something going on.
I also have read of thyroid hormone resistence, and wondered what you'd see w/ this diagnosis.

Thanks for all of you help.

there is no normal tsh per se, yes, there are standards but each lab has its normal ranges depending on the assay. At our institution tsh above 5 or so is out of range but not necessarily needing treatment till we assess the whole picture. In the face of normal free T4 I would say the repeat tsh that was a little elevated was worth watching and repeating, her antibodies are negative also making it less likely that there is a thyroiditis or autoimmune process going on that is detectable at this time.
Repeat labs in a month to include tsh and free T4 only, no more Total t4 or t3, not necessary in a child with no symptoms.
Hormone resistance would have an elevated free T4 in the face of a tsh that also was elevated or normal and not coming down like it should.
Your thoughts are right repeat in a month and do not treat unless a pediatric endocrinologist sees her an truly feels it is necessary